Hi I'm Mike from Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShutTheFermenter

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to make an account and join the fun. I've been brewing extract for a while now and am thinking about trying a gallon of BIAB soon. I live in an apartment so boiling more that a few gallons of water isn't really an option. Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions.

Welcome from Minnesota. A snowy cold day again here today.
I'm switching to BIAB and will hopefully brew my first BIAB batch soon.

There's a huge amount of info here on the forum. Search is your friend. A good way to search the forum is by using Google.
In the Google search bar:
site:homebrewtalk.com enter search terms here

But, everyone is very friendly, so don't be shy.

Welcome to the forum, from Long Island. If you have a nice big stockpot you could BIAB average gravity brews in 2-3 gallon batches, and still have a stock pot for other cooking. ( I know it's not "cool" to multipurpose the kettle, but it makes sense when space is an issue. I use a canning pot ) I'd also reccomend a wilserbag if you find you like the process. Again welcome.

Glad to see another Minnesotan here.

Not that I've lived in Minnesota lately, but I still consider it home.

As for advice on apartment brewing, I've brewed 3-gallon batches in apartments, it is a manageable amount of liquid. It did take a while to come to a boil, but eventually I just boiled outside in my parking spot in front of my garage.

And if you feel like doing a proper mash, a 3-gallon igloo cooler can comfortably hold about 5.5lbs of malt. If you need your beer stronger, sub some base malt with extract.

Welcome to the forum from another Minnesotan!

In winter (when I don't want to sit out in the garage to brew regular-sized batches on propane) I do 2.5 gallon BIAB batches indoors on the electric stove in a 5 gallon kettle. I ferment in a 3 gal carboy. The key is to hold back some of the strike water in a separate container, do the mash, lift out the bag and set it in a colander over the kettle. Then slowly pour the held back water over the grain bag. Let it drain a bit, squeeze the bag a bit to get more wort, then remove the grains and bring to a boil.

CAM00973.jpg

If you want to stick with 1 gallon batches, check out this thread.

Welcome from New Brighton!
If you're thinking about BIAB and want to try it out cheap, go to a hardware store and pick up a couple painter's bags. I buy a bag of two 5 gal. bags for less than $5. I double bag my grains. Also, depending on the size of your kettle, use clothes pins or something to hold the bag up. You don't want it to sit on the bottom and scorch.
Good luck.

Back