Hi I'm a Idiot Driver RANT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BraeHaus said:
Please, for the sake of your life and for others, do not tailgate tractor trailers, the signs on the truck that say: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU" are there for a reason.

I agree completely, but why stop with truckers? Don't tailgate, period. If you do, you're a ******.

It's hard not to follow too close in traffic sometimes. Just today I was driving home with enough space between me and teh guy in front of me. Someone cut into the space--- they turned on their signal for one blink cut over and slowed down.

So I sighed and backed off to a safe distance again. 3 more times this happens to me. Then I close it up so that it's unsafe to cut in front of me but this means I'm too close to the guy in front of me.

I dont want to argue with anyone because im too druck and may say something I regret.However I ask why should I be held to more scrutiny then the average joe when he is just as dangerous as I am if not more because of his capability to whip in and out of traffic and excessive speeding?

I get really pissed about illegal aliens driving. I can't tell you how many times I've been in close calls with some of them. Its like they don't know rules of the road. :mad:

I imagine the illegal alien truck drivers are about the worst it can get. Ignoramus-Maximus!!!

Anyone who's ever driven a loaded Uhaul on the highway should have some idea of how difficult accelerating & decelerating a truck can be, as well as maneuvering with only the side mirrors to guide you. And I'm sure it's a lot more difficult to drive a real truck ...

The moral of the story: give trucks plenty of room, and don't drive like a d-bag.

What pisses me off is when you are coming up of a car going 2-3mph faster than it and when you move over to pass it they speed up so you can't pass it. Is this a race? Why not let me go? If this happens to me I have to beleave that it happens even more to truck drivers.

Another thing is when some one will catch up to you in the right lane and then will tail gate you when the left lane is wide open only to stay with you for 3-4 miles and move over after they see I'm not going to speed up for them. And ounce they pass me and there are no more cars to pass they SLOW DOWN! So I have to pass them but they do what I said before. This has to be a huge pain for truck drivers.

sause said:
What pisses me off is when you are coming up of a car going 2-3mph faster than it and when you move over to pass it they speed up so you can't pass it. Is this a race? Why not let me go? If this happens to me I have to beleave that it happens even more to truck drivers.

Another thing is when some one will catch up to you in the right lane and then will tail gate you when the left lane is wide open only to stay with you for 3-4 miles and move over after they see I'm not going to speed up for them. And ounce they pass me and there are no more cars to pass they SLOW DOWN! So I have to pass them but they do what I said before. This has to be a huge pain for truck drivers.

I think those are just unconcious behaviors and the peole aren't even aware of the fact that they are doing it. I've been a passenger in a car, chatting with the my buddy who was driving, and noticed that behavior. When I asked him about it he didn't realize he was pacing the car next to him.

I suspect that most people probably do it, although I am at a loss to explain the mechanism.

kornkob said:
It's hard not to follow too close in traffic sometimes. Just today I was driving home with enough space between me and teh guy in front of me. Someone cut into the space--- they turned on their signal for one blink cut over and slowed down.

This is so true. When my dad was teaching me how to drive or when I was first driving, my dad would tell me to leave "idiot" space between me and the car in front of me.

I asked why he called it idiot space.

He said, "Two reasons... So you have time to react to the idiot driving in front of you, and only an idiot would pull in that space."

The idiot space thing drives me nuts too. I live in a very high traffic city and rush hour here is in the top 10 in America...it drives me nuts. I leave enough room so that I don't have to slam on my brakes every 30 seconds, and every time I leave that extra car length some jackoff jumps into the space, so I slow down and more jackoffs come over and then slam on their brakes.

I miss living in the country...

I personally blame a lot of the issues between trucks and cars on crappy highway design and crappy traffic laws. And from what I 'm reading in this thread, a lot of the issues you guys mention are almost 100% due to either poor highway design or inadequate/improper legislation.

1) Signage could be orders of magnitude better in most places. Here in Texas you usually get ~1/4 mile notice from sign to exit. Sadly, it tends to be on the scanty of side of that. I've seen signs so close to the exit that I could have stood next to the exit sign and pegged cars on the ramp with a baseball. That's often not enough for me to make an exit in my car, much less some giant thing like an 18-wheeler. Adding to the problem, I don't think that the people who put the signs up can read. They don't always affix them to the right places or get indicate which lanes are going where properly. Worse yet, it was a fad for a while for the State Hwy. Dept to put in left lane exits. Yeah, everyone's expecting *that*.

2) Curves shouldn't be steep enough or sharp enough to cause a truck to tip. That's really poor highway design. The company that designed it should have to pay to have it rebuilt properly so that it can be taken at speed without the truck overturning.

3) Big trucks & other slow moving vehicles should have their own lane. It should be reserved for entering and leaving the highway and for vehicles that are towing, having issues, etc. This should be the right most lane. You could pass by pulling into other lanes temporarily but if you get caught not passing and outside your lane, it should be a hefty fine.

4) Exits should be on the right. Period. No exceptions. Ramps should be one way (i.e. no combination, on/off ramps & yes, I've seen this but it was in Arkansas)

5) Ramps should offer sufficient distance for an 18-wheeler to accelerate/decelerate to an appropriate speed for the surrounding traffic.

6) Minimum speed limits should be enforced. I've seen far more wrecks caused by some dork doing 35 or even 45 on the highway than someone doing 90. Usually the dork doing 35 or 45 isn't involved in the wreck, just the guy who swerved to miss him. Seriously, who gets on a highway and tries to drive 35?

yea!! this is probably my fav thread so far

I hate the jerks that drive in the left lane doing the speed limit or below and just sit there even after I honk my horn at them .......cops really need to enforce the slow traffic keep right rule..

and I agree trucks make the world go around...

Most of the trucks I see are courteous and I try to return the favor to them....but there is always the jerk too that will try to run me off the road to get over even though I can clearly see his face through his mirrors..

I drive local here in Phoenix and just when I think that I have seen it all something else comes along and surprises me. I think people need to pay attention to what they are doing and be curteous to other drivers. Its amazing what you see driving a big rig. Everyday is a freaking adventure.

This is slightly :off: But I wish that you had to retake the written test everytime that you renew your license, CDL or regular. Do you know how many idiots out there have no idea how a 4 way stop works, or the rules for when you do or do not stop for a school bus! I think that most people haven't reviewed the proper rules of the road since they were 16 and took the written test the first time. Maybe, just maybe having to recite that info every few years might remind some people of the rules.

enderwig said:
This is slightly :off: But I wish that you had to retake the written test everytime that you renew your license, CDL or regular. Do you know how many idiots out there have no idea how a 4 way stop works, or the rules for when you do or do not stop for a school bus! I think that most people haven't reviewed the proper rules of the road since they were 16 and took the written test the first time. Maybe, just maybe having to recite that info every few years might remind some people of the rules.

Nope, they just dont pay attention. It takes to much time out of there life to stop for a school bus or to much common sense to realize that when I was 16 I learned, if the person was there before me or at the same time I yield to the right.

enderwig said:

Actually I think that people should have to retake the behind the wheel test every 10 years so we can get people who are obviously no longer capable (through development of bad habits or changes in their ability to handle driving) out from behind the wheel.

But hey-- I'm a radical like that.

enderwig said:

I've been saying for years that as part of your initial behind-the-wheel test that a person should demonstrate the ability to change a tire or handle other roadside emergencies. I don't know how many times I've gotten calls from my relatives and had to go bail them out because of something that they should be able to handle themselves.
Of course, there are those that would be exempted from this because of various physical ailments, so don't flame me.........

Im not down for the written retakes, I would have to take 5 tests every 4 years. I wouldn't be opposed to taking the behind the wheel tests every 10 and also a hazerdous weather driving test.

I'm not sure how the whole CDL process works, but I think you have to get a physical every year, or the year you renew your license.

Did you know that in PA the only motor vehicle that is allowed to disregard all traffic laws is a Fire Engine while responding to a fire? Even tho we have this leeway, I know our company doesn't abuse it, we still "drive to survive", meaning we try to obey all traffic laws while responding to an incident... with flashers that can change traffic lights and loud sirens and flashy lights it makes things easier, but you wouldn't believe the idiots who just don't pay attention and somehow don't see a huge flashy and loud fire engine coming.

By the way, all of our apparatus can only go a max of 70 mph and we've found driving the speed limit vs. speeding to an incident only has a difference of 45 seconds... so, we take our time and ride with the mentality of "arriving alive".

i try to apply this to my everyday driving as well, there is just no need to speed if the difference is only going to be 45s.

Making people re-take tests doesn't prove anything. People study up and/or straighten up when a test proctor is around for either written or wheel tests.

We need police ON THE STREET observing illegal driving behavior and ticketing the crap out of people so that they have to pay fines, get points towards losing their license, and jack up their insurance bills.

I've always hated the shotgun approach. Why punish EVERYONE by retaking tests when there's that select few that needs fixing?

I believe that we should have volunteer undercover semi-police that are properly trained and are able to take down license plate info and call a ticket into the real cops who send out tickets.

I'm not sure how the whole CDL process works, but I think you have to get a physical every year, or the year you renew your license.

Did you know that in PA the only motor vehicle that is allowed to disregard all traffic laws is a Fire Engine while responding to a fire? Even tho we have this leeway, I know our company doesn't abuse it, we still "drive to survive", meaning we try to obey all traffic laws while responding to an incident... with flashers that can change traffic lights and loud sirens and flashy lights it makes things easier, but you wouldn't believe the idiots who just don't pay attention and somehow don't see a huge flashy and loud fire engine coming.

By the way, all of our apparatus can only go a max of 70 mph and we've found driving the speed limit vs. speeding to an incident only has a difference of 45 seconds... so, we take our time and ride with the mentality of "arriving alive".

i try to apply this to my everyday driving as well, there is just no need to speed if the difference is only going to be 45s.

You have to get a Physical every 2 years if you don't have high blood pressure or any other physical ailments. If you do its every year. As far as testing...I have to take a written test every 4 years when I renew for my hazerdous Materials endorsement. If there was a written test for everyone every 4 years I would have to take the "General Knowledge", "Combination", "Double's and Triple's", "Tanker", "Hazmat" and "Air Brake" Tests every time I renew, Thats a boat load of money on top of renewing my license and license plates. It would cost me about 300.00.

Making people re-take tests doesn't prove anything. People study up and/or straighten up when a test proctor is around for either written or wheel tests.

We need police ON THE STREET observing illegal driving behavior and ticketing the crap out of people so that they have to pay fines, get points towards losing their license, and jack up their insurance bills.

I've always hated the shotgun approach. Why punish EVERYONE by retaking tests when there's that select few that needs fixing?

I believe that we should have volunteer undercover semi-police that are properly trained and are able to take down license plate info and call a ticket into the real cops who send out tickets.

It's not punishment: it's testing to ensure that people have the minimum requirements to perform. It also ensures that people spend the time to get updated information.

Once every 10 years having to take a written and behind the wheel 're-qualification' exam seems pretty reasonable. It also ensures that people who's changing medical condition (mostly as people get old but other medical conditions change too) gets assessed in actual driving conditions once every 10 years.

I agree that it's not unreasonable. I just think it sucks and per sentence #2 of my quote - I don't think it would work anyways. At least not as much as it needs to.

Sure, it might fix the guy who's gone semi-blind that can no longer pass the eye test but isn't willing to admit he's blind, but I'm sure 90% of the idiot drivers out there are capable of sitting up straight, holding the wheel at 10 and 2, and not being an idiot for the 10 minutes it takes to pass a test - then going out and being a tard on the way home from the exam.

I have not had 2 hands on the wheel since 2 weeks after I got my license. While I may not be 100% perfect behind the wheel, I don't drift between lanes or tailgate truckers at 85mph down the highway. I'm willing to bet that the guy you see doing that wouldn't be doing it at his driving test.

I guess I disagree with one of your fundamental assumptions: that the real bad drivers out there are capable of controlling their bad behaviors for a test. I think that people get into the habit of doing things a certain way and are doing many of those things unconsciously-- which wouldn't change for a test.

I think It is too easy to pass a driving test personally, I think it should be just as hard as a truck driving test with the inspection and everything. I know it is not practical but I think everyone should have to take a hazerdous weather driving test rather it be live or in a simulator.

Depends - How many idiots do you see driving 95mph and weaving in and out of traffic suddenly slow to 62mph when a cop is at the front of the pack driving 62mph?

He sees the cop, his brain becomes aware that he's driving like a dillhole, and he corrects his behavior and pulls in behind the cop and starts pacing the cop car until the cop pulls off or speeds up.

In the presence of authority (cop car or test proctor) people who normally are without competency are capable of greatness. It's like the whole 'mother can lift a car off her baby' kind of strength - people are capable of all sorts of things under the exact right circumstances.

Seems like we're both pessimists - just in different sides.

Seems like we're both pessimists - just in different sides.

No, we're in complete agreement but we're talking about solving different problems.

You are looking for ways to stop the people who choose to be jerks in traffic and I'm looking for ways to cull the incompetent drivers.

Road tests and written exams only catch the incompetent.

btw, +1 to the a-hole who speeds up in passing lanes!

everyday this middle aged woman in a Toyota Camry drives about 10mph below the speed limit, i don't mind when people drive the exact speed limit, but is it necessary to drive 10 below?

anyway, she speeds up in all the passing sections and today she decided to race me up a hill while I was attempting to pass her. The speed limit is 55, she was driving 45, I sped up to 60 to pass her... but didn't since she decided that she wanted to go 65 mph up the hill like a jackoff.... i don't like to pass anyone going higher that 65mph, esp when the highway is strewn with state troopers.

So she drove like a complete jackoff so I immediately just backed off, no sense in passing someone who obviously has issues about other drivers... thank god she doesn't travel the same route my entire hour communte to work.

Back