Hi from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonz82

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Jon. I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a.k.a. a Yooper.

I did about 20 gallons of home brew beer four years ago, got busy with life, and now looking to get back into some beginner level brewing to start back up. I "stalked" the forums 4 years ago for advice, but thought this time around I want to be a little more social.

I've got all the equipment (buckets, 6-gal carboy, 4 Mr. Beer 2-gallon fermenters, etc.) just need restock my ingredients. Unfortunately, I have some LME cans that expired in May 2014 along with expired yeast, 9 pounds of DME, a bunch of grains, hops, corn sugar, etc.

In addition to brewing beer, my wife and I are about to start brewing kombucha too. Someone locally is giving us a Scoby to start out, which makes our startup costs the price of the organic tea bags and sugar (which we already have). Can't beat that.

Welcome! I visited the Calumet area about 4-5 years ago when my daughter went to summer engineering camp at MTU. Nice place in the summer.

Not sure where to buy ingredients up there, maybe Houghton Hancock has something?

Welcome to HBT. There's a ton of information here for the beginner and more. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Don't get up to the UP much, but I spend a lot of time in the Charlevoix area.

Welcome! I visited the Calumet area about 4-5 years ago when my daughter went to summer engineering camp at MTU. Nice place in the summer.

Not sure where to buy ingredients up there, maybe Houghton Hancock has something?

Thank you! Yes, we are blessed to have such a quiet, natural area up here. Winter is nice too --- the 25 FEET of snow this Winter was a bit of work though.

The Keweenaw Co-op store in Hancock has a small home brew section - I never really studied it since I haven't been brewing. I'll have to take a closer look the next time I'm there.

Welcome to HBT. There's a ton of information here for the beginner and more. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Don't get up to the UP much, but I spend a lot of time in the Charlevoix area.

Thank you! Look forward to hanging out in the forums and brewing some tasty beer.

Back