Hey you! You're using too much StarSan...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These brew strong episodes are very recent and the whole show has John from 5 Star Chemicals on the phone. Cleaning & Sanitation

Anything you would ever want to know about PBW or Star-san is covered.

just curious, is Starsan, at our concentration levels considered septic system-safe?

I never looked into it, or read/heard about that.

Could periodic bleach (add vinegar, BM!) discharge also possibly upset a septic system?

I was talking to an electrician, and conversation turned to septic systems, and he indicated antimicrobial soaps are starting to create problems, by slowing down natural processes. Could that be true? (don't we have chemists on board, here?)
Yes, star-san is septic system safe. I have heard many interviews with the Five Star where they say it is and is printed right on the bottle. This was the main reason I started using star san, you can't use iodophor on a septic and with how much I brew I didn't feel comfortable dumping that much bleach in. But I love all the other benefits and will stick with it even if I move off of a septic.

ollllllllllllllo, clearly you were talking to me when you wrote this.

I think I used about 5 gallons of StarSan bottling my beer yesterday. I use even more for brewing, 5 for the supplies bucket, 5-6 for the carboy.

So I have the sprayer.... I guess I just don't trust it to wet everything....

I did do good on the bottles, though. Washed with OxyClean and rinsed, sanitized in the dishwasher (rinse cycle and heat dry), sprayed the insides and hung them to dry before filling.

Isnt it possible to pit SS with a bleach solution?

A strong solution for extended periods…yes.

I usually drop in 3-4 drops of Dawn, ¼ cup of bleach and then a good 10-12 second blast of 130 degree water.

Use the ole nylon scrubby to slosh it around and give a light scrub, dump the stuff into the sink, invert over the empty basin and give a thorough rinsing with 130 degree water.

Then it drip dries over night.

Same exact routine (using less bleach) for my cornies. Then they sit upside down until ready to fill.

Empty_Cornies.jpg

I do all my application with a spray bottle, keep a corny keg filled to top off the spray bottle from time to time. As long as it's still foaming its still good.

I've also heard that other anionic acid sanitizers work just as well as starsan
and cost a lot less.

Perhaps you have to buy in bulk though.

I've gotten 2 batches and a bottling out of my 5 gallons and I plan on just
using that until the PH flops. Then maybe I'll just use a spray bottle.

I make up 5 quarts of water to 1/2 TBSP of star san about every two weeks. I fill my spray bottle and then fill a tupperware container with the overflow.

No way I'm using too much, am I?!? Say it ain't so!

I could probably get by using a little less. I'm still on my first bottle purchased 1 year ago. I think there's still about 8oz. left. I usually mix up a couple gallons on bottling days so I can run some through my autosiphon. For brewdays, I pretty much live off the spray bottle, which I'll refill the next bottling day.

A strong solution for extended periods…yes.

I usually drop in 3-4 drops of Dawn, ¼ cup of bleach and then a good 10-12 second blast of 130 degree water.

Use the ole nylon scrubby to slosh it around and give a light scrub, dump the stuff into the sink, invert over the empty basin and give a thorough rinsing with 130 degree water.

Then it drip dries over night.

Same exact routine (using less bleach) for my cornies. Then they sit upside down until ready to fill.

View attachment 9697

All right. Somebody's got to say something. BM, you were one of my role models on this site until I saw this photo!

WTF is with all of the empty cornies!?!

:mug:

I am one of the old codger brewers. I honestly do not remember what I used when I first started brewing beer. I don't remember buying bleach for the purpose but that might be what I used.

Then I used Iodophor for a couple years and now have learned to embrace the current technology and love the Starsan. 1 gallon per batch. 1 gallon on racking or bottling day (Usually 2 or more batches at a time.) Spray bottle always full for keeping up during the processes but otherwise I dump at the end of the day.

Come on luddites, embrace the present! :)

(And BM, you are still one of my heroes)

Back