"Hey, what's this for?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaotica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bit of a hectic Oatmeal Stout brew day with some unplanned multi-tasking. But I got my 15 min hop addition in right on schedule, wrapped up all my final sanitation work, got the chiller set up and resanitized it... Bing, sweet it's done. Turn off heat, move pot and drop in chiller, turn on water... Let hose pop out of drain and shoot water around. No biggie, clean that up quick.

Then SWMBO asks, "Hey, what's this for?" holding up 3lbs of LME that was supposed to go in at flame out.

Doh!!! Check temp, 175 degrees. :-( So with my better sense yelling "don't do it!" I removed the chiller, power heated the LME, sanitized the bottle, and started pouring. It mixed right in and dissolved nicely. Put the chiller back in and tried to repress the memory of it.

An hour later after pitching and heavy cleanup I noticed the Irish Moss sitting on the counter. [sigh]

I'm pretty chill, it will turn out or my friends with be drinking Bitter Commie Stout while I hoard the good stuff. Hehe.

You'll be fine. I forget whirlfloc 50% of the time. (quick count of tablets) 60%.

Just a comment. I think most people here let the boiling wort sanitize the chiller. You could have just left it in.

Back