Hey how would honey make this better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikingbrewer70

Reaction score
Hey folks...
i recieved a brewers best kit american light ale kit as a st pattys day gift. i want to change it a bit and i was thinking of dropping some honey into it. any thoughts, warnings, tips? i have been doing this for about 3 years so ive done a lot but sadly i have no one to bounce ideas off of soooo fire away

honey is going to ferment out completely leaving your beer thinner. If you want some honey flavor i would use some honey malt as a steeping grain.

I've used honey quite a few times, but almost always to substitute for sugar when a recipe calls for that. It's pretty much equivalent, but I guess I'm flashing back to my granola days when I say I prefer the honey over processed sugar.
If I want actual honey flavor or aroma, I use about 1/2 lb. Honey Malt and maybe add 1 lb. of honey about the 3rd-4th day into fermentation.

Thank You!!!
the i may use the honey as a sugar substitute and the honey malt its been a while since ive brewed and my girlfriend thought the kits were a great way to restart. i also have an american pale ale that came with no yeast i was thinking about california ale i have safale-05 but want to branch out a bit

Back