Hey HBT! Secondary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bburgbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys im fresh to the brewing scene and have a couple questions for you all.

Im wondering if secondary fermentation is something i definitely want to look into for my second batch or not? If so, would a glass carboy be a good investment for this process?

Thanks,
Blacksburg Brewer

you'll get lots of opinion's on here about the semantics of "secondary fermentation" versus "secondary fermentation vessel"

basically, when your beer is pretty much done fermenting, you can rack over to a secondary if you want - you don't really need to unless your going to bulk age for quite awhile. Also, with late additions like dry hopping it may be easier to add that during a secondary.

But, for me, and many others (though, not everyone - don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to convert folks) - I tend to do a 3-4 week fermentation in the primary bucket and then straight to the bottle.

by the way - welcome to HBT! In my opinion, the best resource on the net for all your beer, wine, and mead brewing needs!

Like AZ-IPA said there are lots of opinions on this, with many of the more senior members here skipping any time in a secondary. The secondary usually is not properly a "fermentor" unless you are racking onto fruit in which case there will be some fermentation. As the secondary is commonly used in home brewing it is more akin to a bright tank. It basically allows the beer to further clarify and age away from the trub. It is also more frequently used for dry hopping, although there are some who dry hop in the primary, and some who dry hop in the keg.

So it is really a personal preference. I use secondaries, and the primary reason for me is it is designed into my pipeline and lets me do longer aging, while freeing up a primary for another beer.

Also you mentioned a glass carboy, and you will get differing opinions on this as well. Many have swithed to the PET plastic secondaries such as made by better bottles. The PET bottles are a special plastic resistant to oxygen permeatation, and holding flavors. The benefits are they are much lighter, and there is no break hazard to risk cutting yourself. Odd as it may sound the glass carboys can get hairline fractures in them and look fine, then have the bottom just let go one day. There are several stories of serious injury from the glass when this happens. Just a couple weeks ago a member here had the bottom just fall off with a gallon or two of cleaning water in it. He severred a nerve in his wrist seriously enough to require surgery.

Just leave it alone for a good ten days or more and you're fine. No need to even think about a secondary at this time.

What are you making for your second batch? I usually do 3-4 weeks in a PET better bottle then go right to bottling, but there are some occassions where I still drag out one of my secondaries.

1. Fruit. I rack onto it, then off it into a tertieary
2. Lagering.
3. Pipeline/extended aging (I have four primary's, no need to tie one up for a tripel I want to let sit for 3 months before going to bottle)
4. Impatience. ie: Too cheap to buy a fifth primary right now.

Everyone has covered the issue pretty well, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forums from Charlottesville. Are you student at Tech? Class of '02 here...

I've only got one primary fermenter(6.5 glass carboy). I also have one 5 gallon glass carboy. Besides allowing me to start another batch earlier, by using a secondary it also just "gives me something to do".

Man you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice and i think i will skip to secondary fermentation for now at least.

I just boiled my first wort today and it turned out very well but im afraid my yeast may be dead..i "rehydrated" and "proofed" the yeast as it told me on How to Brew - By John Palmer and there was a little bubbling. but say the yeast is dead, can i go back later and add some more yeast?

Thanks for all the help,
Blacksburg Brewer

ps. heck yeah ive lived in Blacksburg for about 8 years now and am a little bit into my career at tech :)

I have a primary that is a bucket but it doesn't have an air lock. I has a lid but I'm not sure that its an air tight seal. Could I skip the secondary using this for the two weeks?

k-dub, I'm not really sure what you a referring to in your post. Do you mean that the lid that fits onto your bucket does not have a hole in it?
Or does the lid have a hole, and you have not afixed an airlock into it?

You may want to start a new post so others will chime in.

k-dub, I'm not really sure what you a referring to in your post. Do you mean that the lid that fits onto your bucket does not have a hole in it?
Or does the lid have a hole, and you have not afixed an airlock into it?

You may want to start a new post so others will chime in.

Sorry, to clarify I meant the lid that fits on the bucket does not have a hole in it and is slightly loose fitting. It looks like this:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/kaptainkris/12_gallon_primary.jpg

Bburgbrewer.I'm sure your yeast is fine.If your yeast really is dead(however unlikely)You'll want to pitch fairly soon so you don't get any wild yeasts taking over.And K-Dub asking a question in the middle of Bburgs post is thread jacking.Please "submit new thread" for questions.That and go get yourself an ale pail it'll be a great $12 investment.To everybody.sorry for the bitching I have a damn good buzz for 5 o'clock:D

Nice Joos,
K-dub, if you are set on using that bucket, most Canadian's prefer putting a sanitized piece or two of loosely fitting tin foil while skipping the lid altogether, just kidding on the Canadian comment - but alot of your brethren do that.
You may also think about just placing your existing lid on top of your bucket without snapping it down.
if you snap it down, you will get alot of Co2 buildup in there and it will likely explode.

Joos is right though, you should get yourself a proper ale pail w/ a hole for an airlock. And, thread jacking is a serious crime :)
good luck!

well the thought of the yeast being dead wasnt based on much since i havent seen "alive" yeast but i checked the fermentor today and there was a bunch of foam on the top but nothing was coming out of the airlock..i feel like itll be alright just gotta wait now. thanks for the help everyone

If your beer is foaming then it is fermenting. You will probably hear from a number of people on here that airlock activity is no indication of fermentation or lack there of. Your best tool is your hydrometer. If there is any change in gravity then the yeast is fine and doing its job. You probably have a loose seal somewhere that is allowing the CO2 to escape.

Back