Hey guys...can you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
Hi, I brewed an Imperial Stout about 8 days ago. Unfortunately, the top blew off my primary about 8 hours after pitching yeast...it wasn't too terribly bad but it came off in the middle of a dinner party. We all dove under the table for a moment. LOL. anyway, at that time I siphoned to my 6.5 carboy and it continued to ferment fine for a day and a half..then stopped. I was sending to secondary today, checked the gravity and it seems to have stalled at 1.024. Original gravity was 1.081. This beer is showing less than 6%ABV when it is supposed to be 8%ABV. Did I mess it up or should I pitch more yeast? Man, was o looking forward to this one. :(

Thanks for the help!

It isn't uncommon that an imperial stout would finish in the 20s, but 1.056 is really low for an imperial stout and there is no way you could get 8% with that OG.

Also, why did you transfer before it was done with active fermentation?

robaincltnc said:
Hi, I brewed an Imperial Stout about 8 days ago. Unfortunately, the top blew off my primary about 8 hours after pitching yeast...it wasn't too terribly bad but it came off in the middle of a dinner party. We all dove under the table for a moment. LOL. anyway, at that time I siphoned to my 6.5 carboy and it continued to ferment fine for a day and a half..then stopped. I was sending to secondary today, checked the gravity and it seems to have stalled at 1.024. Original gravity was 1.056. This beer is showing less than 4%ABV when it is supposed to be 8%ABV. Did I mess it up or should I pitch more yeast? Man, was o looking forward to this one. :(

Thanks for the help!

Extract or all grain?

It can be difficult to get extract brews to ferment under 1.020.

This beer cannot achieve 8% abv. Your OG is too low. If you ferment down to 1.000 (won't happen), best you can do is 7.5%.

What yeast did you pitch?

Using 72% yeast attenuation (completely guessing until yeast strain is known), expect a final gravity of about 1.016, with an abv of 4.5 percent.

I updated the OG and FG....i mistakenly looked at the wrong sheet with my notes on this beer. :0 Too much home brew tonight I guess..Plus doing this with two kids pulling at my legs. Sorry for the fire drill. It looks like I am ok.

1.081-1.024 gives a 7.467 ABV. Will check gravity again in a week and see where I am.

I went to secondary because of the blow out of the primary bucket.

Thanks guys!

Back