Hey Everybody

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samie85

Reaction score
I'm actually literally brewing as we speak. I had a few questions. I have the 6.5 gallon plastic fermenter from Northern Brewer and they have directions for a blow-off hose for better bottles and carboys but not for the plastic buckets. I was just wondering if it's not necessary or if there's a way to rig one up.

I also was wondering if keeping the lid of the fermenter on but not sealed would be okay(to prevent the lid blowing off, I've heard of it happening). I'm doing a 5%ABV-ish Amber Ale so it's not too high gravity.

Thanks.

Seal the lid definitely, the same size tube works as a blowoff for better bottles, and buckets.

Do you have the tubing?

I have two different sizes of tubing, but what is the right size for blowoff? I have 3/8" and 5/16".

Welcome! +1 on sealing the lid... as long as you have proper seal on your better bottle, a blowoff valve should be fine. Check and see which one fits in the bung.

Seal the lid definitely, the same size tube works as a blowoff for better bottles, and buckets.

Do you have the tubing?

I don't think I have the right tubing for a blow-off. The two tubes I have are too big and the blow-off tubing for sale on N. Brewer is bigger than what I already have.

If your brewing ina bucket it should have come with an airlock. And if thats the case then the tubeing is for fluid transfer Ie siphon tubeing. So lets start with are you fermenting in the bucket or the better bottle?

If your brewing ina bucket it should have come with an airlock. And if thats the case then the tubeing is for fluid transfer Ie siphon tubeing. So lets start with are you fermenting in the bucket or the better bottle?

I meant to say that I have the plastic buckets. I've heard though that with a really active fermentation(even with the airlock) the lid can blow off of the bucket.

you wouldn't have an airlock if it wasn't useful for most beers and since this is a very average beer, you should be just fine

Welcome to HBT!

Your bucket is probably big enough but there are lots of folks that just leave the lid sitting on the top to prevent it blowing off and painting your walls and ceiling. During the first few days of fermentation, there is a lot of pressure pushing out to keep anything bad from getting in. As long as it's covered to keep critters out, there really isn't any need for an airtight seal.

Welcome to HBT!

Your bucket is probably big enough but there are lots of folks that just leave the lid sitting on the top to prevent it blowing off and painting your walls and ceiling. During the first few days of fermentation, there is a lot of pressure pushing out to keep anything bad from getting in. As long as it's covered to keep critters out, there really isn't any need for an airtight seal.

This is what I've heard before and was wondering about primarily. I just wanted some reassurance that the bucket being covered but not sealed isn't an issue with with being sanitary.

Thanks everyone for your input and the welcomes.

Latest posts

Back