Hey all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterRat

Reaction score
While I'm not new to this forum, I have been quite a bit more active lately. So, I figured I should introduce myself. I have been brewing for 10+ years, the last 8 all grain. I have over 125 batches under my belt. While I like to claim that I don't have a favorite style, I find I brew Bitter more than any other style, probably should be my house beer!! :p I'm married for 27 years, have 2 chillen, dauhgter 24, son 20, both attending college. My wife works at a local hospital, and I sell cookies for a living. Hmm, can't think of anything else right now!!
Cheers, BitterRat

BitterRat said:
While I'm not new to this forum, I have been quite a bit more active lately. So, I figured I should introduce myself. I have been brewing for 10+ years, the last 8 all grain. I have over 125 batches under my belt. While I like to claim that I don't have a favorite style, I find I brew Bitter more than any other style, probably should be my house beer!! :p I'm married for 27 years, have 2 chillen, dauhgter 24, son 20, both attending college. My wife works at a local hospital, and I sell cookies for a living. Hmm, can't think of anything else right now!!
Cheers, BitterRat

Welcome Bitter Rat! Glad your on-board and look forward to hearing 10 years of brew-experience. Man, makin' cookies and beer? Whadda job! Need any help??? :D I make a killer homemade pizza!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Hey BitterRat! Welcome :D

Sounds like our tastes are similar. One of our most common house beers is Bitter poured from the Nitrogen tap. Good stuff with a thick creamy head like a Boddington's. Getting...thirsty... ;)

Glad you found us, and I hope you stick around. Cheers!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have ya. Looking to join ya'll and move up to the ranks of all-grain soon. Can't wait 'till I've brewed enough to have a favorite...my own house brew.

Hey guys I'm kinda new here. I would say I got into brewing from a friend that was moving and didn't want to move his kit. I have been cooking professionally for 15 years and the whole cooking of the wort is second nature to me. I only have three batches under my belt but I would seriously like to get into all-grain. My problem is that my HBS owner says "oh just wait". Now I have studied and researched about all-grain and its not that difficult( time consuming but not difficult), should I take the leap or just wait? Any input from you guys that have done all-grain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

hawktrap74 said:
Hey guys I'm kinda new here. I would say I got into brewing from a friend that was moving and didn't want to move his kit. I have been cooking professionally for 15 years and the whole cooking of the wort is second nature to me. I only have three batches under my belt but I would seriously like to get into all-grain. My problem is that my HBS owner says "oh just wait". Now I have studied and researched about all-grain and its not that difficult( time consuming but not difficult), should I take the leap or just wait? Any input from you guys that have done all-grain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ah, make the jump! You can acquire equipment for not a lot of money (if that's a concern?). The most I had to spend was for my stainless kettle ($79 bucks). I mash/lauter in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid cooler. It does take more time, but it's fun, and not hard at all. Just have a game plan before you start, and it will go alot smoother. There is a back-issue of "Brew Your Own" that has a guide to "Your First Infusion Mash". I believe it's April-May 2003? I can find out for sure when I go home if anyone is interested? The next issue talks about sparging, but all the info is in the first issue you need. It's basic, and you can add steps as you do more brews.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

I have read those web sites over and over again, but my real question is: I have extract and grain extract down is it in my best interest to jump right on over to all-grain. I want to have a beer that I am proud of.
I feel kits and extracts are like buying one of those crock pot meals that have everything in it except the water. Yea you cooked it but did you really cook it. Now if you go and buy all the ingredents and chop them, add your own spices, now you got a meal. To me cooking is a labor of love, now i want my home brew to be the same. Sorry about the rambling but I have been contaplating this move probably since my first batch. Just let me know ok. Thanks again guys.

hawktrap74 said:
I have read those web sites over and over again, but my real question is: I have extract and grain extract down is it in my best interest to jump right on over to all-grain. I want to have a beer that I am proud of.
I feel kits and extracts are like buying one of those crock pot meals that have everything in it except the water. Yea you cooked it but did you really cook it. Now if you go and buy all the ingredents and chop them, add your own spices, now you got a meal. To me cooking is a labor of love, now i want my home brew to be the same. Sorry about the rambling but I have been contaplating this move probably since my first batch. Just let me know ok. Thanks again guys.
After reading that, me thinks you should jump and go all grain!! The total control you have is a beautiful thing!! I say go for it and don't look back!!

hawktrap74 said:

hawk, i feel your burn brother! i feel the same way about my beer and cooking. example, my wife and i are on a mission to make the best homemade pizza we can. we started w/ pre-baked crust's at the store, then the dough in a can in the refridge section, to a crummy "homemade" dough with flour. now we have two types of pizza peels we use (one for putting the pizza in, one for removing the pizza), make our own crushed tomatoe sauce, look for the freshest mozzarella, and prof our dough for 2 days! it's an event every sunday night to make pizza together. it's exactly the same as when i make my brew. it's an event, a passion. for me, no matter what technique i'm brewing, i'm alsways looking to move up a step.
make the jump and run with it! :D

DeRoux's Broux

Janx said:
OK, am I the only one hungry for pizza now?

That sounds dang good, my friend! :D

OH MAN, THEY ARE PRETTY DAMN GOOD!!!! They go so good with that Rye PA I brewed too.

If anyone is interested in making homemade pizza, get the book "American Pie". This guy went to Italy, all over the States to find the best pizza. He's a bakery instructor somewhere in California. Killer pizza doughs, sauces, etc. The best I've found so far. We will never order delivery pizza again! :D

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

homemade pie is good there are no good pizza joints around in my neck of the woods.

Back