Herms temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaymzMF

Reaction score
I’m a complete noob with this. I’m very lost. You guys were already a big help with a temp monitoring thing I was wanting to do. Hopefully you can help me again.

I’ve just built a small mini HLT with herms coil specifically to control my mash temps. It will only be used for that. I have a separate HLT for strike and sparge water.
Now that it’s built, I want to have a controller control the element for me but I’ve no clue what I’m doing. What’s the cheapest best method for the controller? What type of probe do I look at getting to be mounted inline the wort exiting the herms system? I’m not looking to build a control box. But I’d like a pretty precise probe mounted inline and plugged into a somewhat simple controller if possible.
Will a high enough wattage plug n play temp controller like the bayite work? I’ve read it’s not as precise or something as a pid. Am I capable of wiring a pid? If so, which one! What probe to go along with it?
Sorry like I say, I’m clueless with this electric brewing and am trying to slowly get into it but I’m pretty overwhelmed. I hate asking to spell it out for me, but would someone mind spelling it out for me? Thanks so much!

Back