HERMS temp control- I can't dial in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
Yesterday was a brew day after a long layoff and I couldn't seem to get my temps dialed in at the MT or HLT. I'm not sure if I need to adjust any of the InkBird ITC-106 settings (setting recommendations?) or if its a matter of leaving lids on or off. My target temperatures were 152 for 60min with 168*F at dough in. Basement, Grains and equipment were 59*F . The 168 strike water at dough-in was a bit high and I started the mash higher than I would have liked. Next time around I'll try to dough with 160*F strike. I do have an insulator wrapped around the mash tun. Any suggestions for my next go at it? Thanks in advance.

What is your process? I heat my HLT hotter than the mash temp that I want. I recirculate the mash in the MT through the HERMS coil in the HLT and use a control panel to register when the mash reaches the target mash temp. If it goes over that temp the control panel will turn the pump off and will turn the pump back on when temp gets a degree or two below the target. That way my mash stays at my target temp within 1 to 2 degrees, plus or minus.

I also heat my HLT hotter than my mash temp, but BS over shoots the drop in temp when adding grains the the MT. I just need to find a good starting HLT differential and then look for changes during the mash. Do you leave your MT covered during the full mash time?

I'll take a whack at this...lol. Not knowing all the variables makes it a challenge. Not knowing your procedure multiplies that difficulty...I have a HERMS also. I take my mash temp coming out of the HLT, on it's return to the MLT, for the record, and will check my grain bed temps occasionally to see that everything is where it's supposed to be. Once my mash is recirculating, I find that it is 2 or 3 degrees lower than my HLT temps. I set accordingly. If I want 152 for my mash, then I get my HLT to 155. Now then, that's not my strike temp! If you need 168 for strike, because the weight of your grain bill and in combination with the temp of your grains, then you should do your level best to make your strike water 168, so after dumping the cold grain into and thoroughly mixing, it comes to rest at 152. I don't know if you have a burner under the mash, so you could get to strike temps without over shooting the mash recirculating temp. I have a bucket with cold water in it to drop my HLT temps after getting my strike water temp. Put that water into my mash, then refill my
HLT in order to cover the coil and drop temp at same time. It helps to keep your transfer line as short a length as possible, and even better if you insulate it. I run my pump at 3/4 open to full, depending on my grain bill. You have to be careful with that as you can compact your bed.

Latest posts

Back