HERMS return manifold build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all - been lurking the forums for a long time learning from all of your hard work - borrowing and building away all this time. I thought it was long past due to try and contribute as well. So here you go. Nothing fancy, but sometimes those are the best.

A couple of years ago, shortly after converting to HERMS brewing, I became very frustrated with how to return my wort to my MLT. I used just about every method possible, but wasn't getting great efficiencies. I was also getting significant amounts of channeling when i just let it run back in with a piece of tubing. So I set out to find the best way to evenly distribute my wort back on top of my grain bed from my HERMS coil.

IMG_1718 (1).jpg

There are two types of brewers looking at this right now. The first one isn’t even paying attention to the design but is openly mocking my lack of ability to solder copper pipe. The other type is the one who has never sweat to pieces of pipe together in his life but is still openly mocking me because it is true that his first attempt will look much better than this atrocity. But let’s move on to the fun details and focus on the brewing strategy instead. Here are a few more images of the design in place and in action so that I can better describe my rationale below.

IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1721.jpg

I’ll start with a description and some methods. This is a very basic design manifold that serves the purpose of redirecting wort returning from the HERMS coil to four distinct points resting ideally on top of the grain bed. While cutting and soldering the copper was relatively easy (again see above when referencing my skill level) I was at a bit of a loss when it came to an elegant solution for making the depth of the device variable so that it can rest on a grain bed for a 5 gallon batch of low gravity beer as easily as a high gravity 10 gallon batch. You will notice a black wire in the image (also a yellow wire but that is just for my temperature control). This was my solution. Simple, and certainly not permanent, but it’s the best I could do and it is honestly growing on me. Simply mash in, then tie off the manifold at any height you need and begin the recirculation. Done. But again, I want to appeal to the logical side of brewers as well, so there are a few design characteristics that I think are important as well that this addresses.

My first stated goal with this design was that it had to operate without any type of screen or filter. Period. I had gone down that road (admittedly unnecessarily but was willing to try anything at the time). But now I was moving past that stage of my life. So I went with 1/2 inch copper pipe. This would eliminate the need for any kind of strainer or filter as the narrowest opening any of the wort would see is the false bottom in my mash tun. Whatever escaped that plus the grain bed compaction was welcome to do so as my larger diameter tubing did not care what came through.

Second, the wort must be returned directly to the top of the grain bed. Therefore, I needed something that would flex in height as I brew both 5 and 10 gallon batches on this setup, and even within the 5 gallon range the level of the grain bed can vary between different gravity beers I’m working on.

Finally, it must be something that cleans easily. Copper is a naturally antimicrobial surface and therefore is a great selection for material in this instance. Also, since all contact happens before the hot side of the brewery, a good rinse and light scrubbing and this guy is set between brews. Okay - lots of words for a simple project, but obviously I'm pretty happy with the results.

Nice job. Here's an idea for making the height adjustable, It's just some PVC electrical fittings and a couple of thumb screws. You might have to play around with it a little bit since yours is already soldered together.
WIN_20150130_082839.JPG

WIN_20150130_082901.JPG

That's great - thanks for the idea! I like your aerator nozzle on the end too used to distribute the wort on the grain bed. How high above the bed do you set it to get a good distribution?

I just used my RIMS for the first time last weekend with the return hose just resting on top of the grain bed. I decided I needed to build a return manifold and was picturing the exact same thing you have done here, only in cpvc. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with it, I'll go ahead with it for my system too then.

Thanks for the write up. I've just finally put my HERMS together and did a trial run yesterday and came across similar issues. Previously, I'd fashioned a sparge arm from a coil of 3/8" copper drilled with a bunch of 1/16" holes. It had worked alright for a while but I noticed it was partially clogged with nasty old grain husks!

Thought about filtering as you aparrently did, but now think your idea may be the best. Nice open flow tubes. I may incorporate a sieve of some kind to reduce channeling during sparging. I used to use a plastic container lid swiss-cheesed with holes in my previous batch sparge days. Maybe a nice piece of copper or stainless can be found for the job. ..

Chris

Problem! I built something almost identical for my HERMS return and it sends to work well for wort recirculation but....

Holy crap, my mash efficiency plummeted! I suspect that when I fly sparge the water is channeling through the grain bed. I'm thinking that the solution may need to involve some kind of baffle plate under the return pipes.

Chris

Whoa! Sorry - obviously have been poor about checking this thread!

As for the efficiency drop - that is interesting... Here are some of the problems that I had getting started. If for some reason the manifold isn't as close to perfectly level as possible, the return flow will favor (heavily even) the lowest opening on the manifold, directing more wort or sparge water into that corner which can easily lead to channeling.

I like microbusbrewery's suggestion on this thread for making it height adjustable because that also helps to stabilize the manifold. If I had to do it over again, and I likely will because I'm a sucker for a good homebrew hack project, I will probably go for 6 outlets. If that doesn't work for you, you could also think about a baffle as you suggest, or even drill some holes in the bottom of the copper pipe facing the grain bed. They would have to be large enough to allow grain through, but small enough not to take all of the flow away from the manifold openings.

Lots of options for sure. Keep me posted - would love to hear how you solve the problem so I can improve my next attempt too.

I just used my RIMS for the first time last weekend with the return hose just resting on top of the grain bed. I decided I needed to build a return manifold and was picturing the exact same thing you have done here, only in cpvc. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with it, I'll go ahead with it for my system too then.

Let me know how the CPVC turns out. I think it will be easier to assemble for sure (see my crappy soldering job as an example...) but avoided it myself for cleaning reasons. I had two bad batches in a row a while back and panicked and went and sanitized everything to an extreme extent. Ever since, I have looked for items that were easier to clean or in this case, used copper as it is naturally bacteria resistant.

That said, I'm all about cheap and easy - would love to hear how yours worked. And congrats on the new RIMS setup. Will you ever go back?? :mug:

This is a suggestion and take it for good or bad. I think it'd be interesting to put something on the top of those exits to make it similar to a fire sprinkler system. That way it'd spray it out on top of the bed instead of bubbling? I'm not sure what could be done to make this happen but just throwing it out there. Then you could suspend it above the water line and let the return "rain" down.

Haha! Sorry - just love the idea of "making it rain" on my grain bed. For me that would be tough - not from a technology standpoint but from one of pressure. It's hard to see, but on the image of it in action on my original post, the wort flows out and barely clears the manifold by about a half inch or less. To get the necessary spray, I'd have to taper the ends creating a nozzle effect, then project that through a diffuser or spray type attachment. As I type this, that sounds really cool and I may go for it, but I would need to make the nozzle wide enough for grain to escape but narrow enough to get the appropriate pressure.

Cool idea. And no suggestion is "bad" - just some make better beer than others! Thanks for contributing.

As for the efficiency drop - that is interesting... If for some reason the manifold isn't as close to perfectly level as possible, the return flow will favor (heavily even) the lowest opening on the manifold, directing more wort or sparge water into that corner which can easily lead to channeling

That is very likely it. I didn't sweat all of the fittings - leaving the arms free to be removed for cleaning, but they could also pivot and that likely lead to channeling.

I recovered my error by performing 2 small batch sparges and a LONG boil of unhopped wort to get my gravity points.

Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back