HERMS...procedure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentpirate

Reaction score
In March I was able to purchase a HERMS system for a real good price. My experience with HERMS is nill, I have used the standard 10 gal coolers etc. I brewed a Hefe that I have brewed many times with sucess to keep things simple. I heated to water and mashed at 152 for an hour. Now, during this time I recirculated the wort through the HERMS the entire time and batched sparged. I was able to finally drink a glass last night - It had a much fuller head than any beer I have ever brewed, the color looked fantastic, but the taste - It was a combination of watered down, sterile, astrigent, it almost tasted like I washed everything out of the grains; just all around I would be ashamed to share this beverage with anyone. My question is; do I / should I recirculate through the entire mash process, should I get it to temperature, let it alone and only run the pump when the I need to raise the temp - I have read the thread "Implementing a HERMS easily" time and time again, but I think I am missing something. The other odd point was that my pre boil and post boil gravity readings were spot on - I really thought this would have been the best that I ever made - it simply was the worse by far.
The other question; it was only conditioning for 2 weeks which is typically where I start drinking the Hefe's. Should I wait longer, with the flavor 'magically' come back or by cirulating too much did I loose it forever. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.... :confused:
If this subject was covered before I appologize in advance, I am learning so much by reading all the threads.

Some folks use a controller to turn the pump off and on, but most leave the pump running all the time and use the controller to turn the heat off and on.

I can't help with your flavor problem, though. My HERMS just became ready this past weekend, and I haven't actually brewed with it yet.

I recirculate through the entire mash. No watered down astringency here. The point IS to wash everything out of the grains, but you can oversparge to get tannins and cause astringency. I am curious about your water volume situation.

How did you batch sparge and with how much water? And how much mash water did you recirculate with?

I get my HLT to temp and set the recirc pump on with the valve at medium to slow rate. Then after the mash I feed the MLT with water from the HLT at the same rate that I am running wort from the MLT to the kettle (never wide open). I know ahead of time how much water I intend to drain from the HLT to get to my boil volume.

Post your recipe if you can.

I am currently at work and I don't have my note book handy; but I may have over sparged after reading over my notes last night. Another example of the taste; if you make coffee with too few grounds for a full pot.....
Thank you for answering the question about letting it circulate; my thought was the same that the idea was to wash the grains.
Does the astringency taste ever go away, or is this basically trashed?

You should have no problems recirculating the entire time. Watch your sparge temps if you have astringency problems - your sparge water should be no more than 170.

Back