HERMS Mounted in Kettle Lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p40whk

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stages of building my HERMS setup and ran across Bru-Gear's kettles with their HERMS unit mounted to the Lid:

http://www.bru-gear.com/20-gallon-HERMS-kit_p_19.html

This looks like a great idea for cleaning purposes alone. Can anyone give reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea? Has anyone used a setup like this? I have a coil on order and haven't cut the holes in my kettle yet and would feel much more comfortable drilling in the lid and having a removable HERMS than hard mounting it to the side of the kettle.

Thanks

Check out Boerderij_Kabouter. Some of his builds used a lid mounted coil. No reason why it wouldn't work especially in a two vessel system, but doesn't make a lot of sense for a dedicated HLT.

Thanks, I'll check him out.

However, I did think of one reason not to do it this way. There would be no way to get all of the wort out of the coil pumping it vertically. I suppose if you have the traditional side mounted coil you could use the lower port as output to utilize gravity to get all of the wort out.

And I thought I had some new clever idea... lol. I do this, but apparently not so unique.

It works very well for my 2-vessel system. The HLT doubles as the BK, so the coil goes back in after the boil and doubles as the chiller.

I also only need 1 heating element in the entire system, which also simplifies the control panel, etc. The whole design concept was simple and elegant, yet powerful. I am loving everything about my design and haven't regretted anything yet. It is no sparge, but the efficiency has actually been better than expected at 72%.

There would be no way to get all of the wort out of the coil pumping it vertically. I suppose if you have the traditional side mounted coil you could use the lower port as output to utilize gravity to get all of the wort out.

2 points here: First, when I open my drain valve after the mash to drain just the hoses (before un-cam-locking and moving mash output to the BK), I discovered that the coil siphons itself empty. I hadn't even expected that, but when I drain my hoses, I get a half-gallon more than I expect. Pretty cool. I pour it back on top the mash.

And if that's not enough, since it doubles as the chiller, it gets flushed with water during chilling. After turning off the ice-water pump and disconnecting the exit hose, it again siphons back through the sump pump and almost completely empties. I've blown it out with air, but almost nothing is left.

Gotpushrods,

Thanks for the update, I may still look at building my system this way as I like the idea of being able to move the lids around.

I'm building a 3-Tier HERMS system with only 2 burners and a Coleman cooler as a mash tun for now. I don't see the need to have a heated mash tun if you're recirculating the wort through the HLT to maintain temps but I'm new at this so correct me if I'm wrong?

If I can get the siphoning action to work like you have it sounds like the way to go. What fittings did you use to attach your coil to the lid?

I had already ordered the HERMS coil from JaDeD and just sent them an email asking them to make the input/output lines longer so I can do this.

If that doesn't work, I'll sell it and pick up a custom made one from HERE

I don't see the need to have a heated mash tun if you're recirculating the wort through the HLT to maintain temps but I'm new at this so correct me if I'm wrong?

Exactly, this is the point of any RIMS/HERMS to have the heat source outside the tun itself. In my 2-vessel setup, the HLT/BK has the only heating element. In fact, it also has the only RTD sensor. Some people want to measure the output stream of the HERMS, but I've found that it's only FRACTIONS of a single degree behind and rock stable. This makes the entire control panel extremely simple. Set the HLT temp, the mash will follow close behind.

If I can get the siphoning action to work like you have it sounds like the way to go. What fittings did you use to attach your coil to the lid?

I had already ordered the HERMS coil from JaDeD and just sent them an email asking them to make the input/output lines longer so I can do this.

If that doesn't work, I'll sell it and pick up a custom made one from HERE

I silver-soldered stainless half couplings into the lid. On the bottom, I hung the coil using 1/2" NPT to 1/2" OD tube compression adapters.

On top, both sides have a T fitting, pointing front-to-back with a dial thermometer facing front (completely unnecessary) and more fittings leading to male cams out back.

I could post some pics later if you want.

:mug:

Thanks, I'll check him out.

However, I did think of one reason not to do it this way. There would be no way to get all of the wort out of the coil pumping it vertically. I suppose if you have the traditional side mounted coil you could use the lower port as output to utilize gravity to get all of the wort out.

A lot of folks pump their sparge water through the coil so they get all the sweet goodness and clean out the coil.

I pump my sparge water through my HERMS coil to clear all of the wort out. My coil is actually not mounted to anything. It is a 50 ft stainless immersion chiller that sits in my HLT. I have yet to find a down side to this plus it acts as a backup to my plate chiller if I were to need it. I think lid mounted would be very similar in function to my setup.

I'm convinced, was able to have JaDeD lengthen the input/output tubes before they shipped it. The slow process of figuring out what I want and ordering everything is progressing.

thanks

Hi I was wondering if you have received and or used the Herms coil yet?? I want to pull the trigger on a Jaded herms coil but have been trying to find a good review first!

Hi I was wondering if you have received and or used the Herms coil yet?? I want to pull the trigger on a Jaded herms coil but have been trying to find a good review first!

I have it but am in the middle of completely re-doing my system so I haven't used it yet.

If it's mounted through the side of the HLT it should work fine but I don't think it's suited for mounting in the lid. Even though they lengthened the ends they're not long enough for me to get full use of my kettle when mounted to the lid.

I'm still debating on using it because I really like the lid option for a cleaning standpoint and I don't have to worry about two more holes in my kettle.

Quality wise its nice, shipped and packed well and I'm sure it would be efficient.

I'll try to take som pics of it and post them later.

After a second look, you could unbend one of the ends to make it long enough for a lid mount... Hmmm, Ill have to rethink this!

Back