HERMS heater outside the HLT - wattage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanLyrio

Reaction score
Hi guys! How are you?
It's my first post and I really have searched about my problem, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere...
I have 4 pots in my HERMS system, not 3 like almost everybody: the heater element isn't in the HLT, but in another kettle, separately. Initially I thought that, using a small pot with the heater element, the water would become hot faster than a big pot, but my MASH TUN isn't increasing the temperature as I want (1ºC per minute), it's taking more, and I'm suspecting that the heat change isn't enough, maybe because the water volume is low and loss heat very fast... So I'm thinking to change the kettle to a big one and also to raise the heater's wattage element, so I'm trying to calculate it.
I do 100L batches (normally using 50 liters in the mashing...) and my kettle with heater element has just 15 liters with a 3000W 220V heater inside it. The HERMS coil has 25 feet by 1/2" (I think it is good...). I'm planning to raise the kettle to a 40 liters with at least 7500W (220V) heater element wattage: what do you think about it?
I'll REALLY appreciate who could help me with this!
Thanks!!
Alan

P.S:
1 - The heater element is controlled by a PID, so I can use a bigger heater wattage, because the PID can just increase the wattage as necessary (not just turning ON/OFF the heater element).
3 - My pump is strong, so my problem apparently is not flow...
2 - If you want more informations about my system, please just ask me!

I would increase the wattage of the heater element without changing the size of the vessel. You have to heat the thermal mass of the water and the mash - increasing the thermal mass of the water will not help you.

Thanks Steve!!
I thought that, increasing the thermal mass too, although occurs the heat changing with the chiller, the thermal mass wouldn't loss much heat and would still be hot...
How about the wattage: is 7500W enough?

Latest posts

Back