HERMS Controller Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus_13

Cul de Sac Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone have any good recommendations for a commercially available controller? I could build one but honestly, I just don't want to put the time in that area not knowing what I'm doing. If there is one out there that would work well and I can buy, that's what I want to do. I'll only be able to use one element at a time and I plan on running a 240V 5500W in each of my HLT and boil kettle. I'll be running 2 15 gallon kettles, one being the HLT. Then a 20 gallon mash tun set up. I'm going to have a friend build my stand and get that set up, the last thing remaining is the controller.

Open to any suggestions with some reviews if available. I searched around the web and here. Not a ton of reviews out there. Mostly DIY stuff.

Let me know what you think! :mug:

I dont think he wants to build it...

<NEVERMIND - I see you can buy them assembled....>

Checkout theelectricbrewery.com

These are definitely the Cadillacs of the ones I've seen. I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it works.

I dont think he wants to build it...

<NEVERMIND - I see you can buy them assembled....>

Much safer for everyone involved if I don't build it haha!

ebrewsupply.com

These look pretty awesome and can add more temp ports which would be useful. Anyone have any experience with them?

These are definitely the Cadillacs of the ones I've seen. I wouldn't mind paying for it as long as it works.

Much safer for everyone involved if I don't build it haha!

These look pretty awesome and can add more temp ports which would be useful. Anyone have any experience with them?

Im building one of the ebrewsupply kits right now. Ryan, the owner, is a great guy with fantastic service. You wont regret purchasing from him.

I would look very seriously at his BCS options, as they provide a lot more functionality over traditional PIDs. He sells both systems though, and if you ask, he will custom design a system for you, if you have specific needs that one of his builds doesnt cover. For instance, I wanted to add a RIMs tube that could run on 240v and switch to 120v, and he created a design for me. Like I said, great service.

Im building one of the ebrewsupply kits right now. Ryan, the owner, is a great guy with fantastic service. You wont regret purchasing from him.

I would look very seriously at his BCS options, as they provide a lot more functionality over traditional PIDs. He sells both systems though, and if you ask, he will custom design a system for you, if you have specific needs that one of his builds doesnt cover. For instance, I wanted to add a RIMs tube that could run on 240v and switch to 120v, and he created a design for me. Like I said, great service.

Awesome! That sounds great. I'm weighing the PID vs BCS options now. I don't know if I would use all the features of the BCS over the set it and forget it PID.

Awesome! That sounds great. I'm weighing the PID vs BCS options now. I don't know if I would use all the features of the BCS over the set it and forget it PID.

There is definitely something to be said for not paying for stuff you wont use. Also be sure to factor in that you can use the BCS to replace other temperature controllers throughout your house. Decide to build a keezer? No need for a Johnson controller. That sort of thing.

I built a mini electricbrewery.com controller. It's solid. Used quality components. I'm sure it you buy it from them it's every bit as solid if not more so.

I bought the 50A back to back kit from theelectricbrewery. Building it was a blast and it is an extremely nice panel. I really enjoy brewing with it. Here is a pic of all the stuff spread out as I try to get the layout right.

IMG_0867.jpg

I will say that if I didn't work for an electrical company I would have had to spend quite a lot on tools. If you don't already have the tools required you might as well just buy the completed panel cause you're gonna spend a fortune on everything you will need and you aren't very likely to use a lot of them again. Here is a pic of the finished panel, although I ended up adding another pump switch shortly after my first use.

IMG_0980.jpg

Sorry about the rotation, I've tried several times and they refuse to fix so I gave up.

here you go... I opened them in windows photoviewer -rotated them and "saved a copy" you can just save these rotated files though...

electric brewery22.jpg

electric brewery1.jpg

Just so you know, As others posted your options vary from economic to extravagant. I love the look of the Kals setup myself but built this panel for under $300 using it as inspiration. It have more functionality actually because of the small DC pumps it powers and controls.
I have been using it for over a year now while slowly upgrading it to meet my changing needs. The seller that "HELLO" mentioned will actually custom build panels to your specs for much less than the full blown electric brewery setup...

IMG_20141214_204543_213.jpg

IMG_20141029_193036_314.jpg

IMG_20150105_172426_076.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm ordering my kettles today. The controller will be next!

Going with Bru Gear for the kettles. (2) 15 Gallon Electric Kettles and (1) 20 Gallon Kettle with false bottom for the mash tun. Going to pick up their HERMS kit for one of the kettles as well. They look like really nice stuff.

Kettles came in. Next is to get the panel. Ryan at ebrewsupply.com has been amazingly helpful with answering questions that I have. Going to get set up on their PID controller and then use the thermowell probes that came with the kettles from Bru Gear. Should be a great set up.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Back