HERMS Coil Install question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
Hey guys!!! Just got in my HERMS coil from stainless brewing and I'm trying to figure out the spacing on where I should drill the holes for my compression fittings. I have a Keggle that this will be going into with compression fittings for top and bottom, just want to know what spacing I should use.

Thanks

I think the question also relates to the fact that the coil height is a little flexible. Unless you're limited to smaller batch sizes for some reason, I'd install it with as much space between coils as you can get.

I agree with measuring. Set the coil inside your keggle and mark the top of the in and out ends of the coil. Measure to those marks and transfer to the the outside for drilling. Don't make the holes closer than the coil ends. Just remember to leave room below the coil for any valve or an electrical element if you think you might ever convert.

The closer the coil is to the bottom of the keggle, the less water you would need to heat and the more responsive your system would be to changes in temperature.

I think the question also relates to the fact that the coil height is a little flexible. Unless you're limited to smaller batch sizes for some reason, I'd install it with as much space between coils as you can get.

Yes. The coil is flexible and I also plan on 10 gal batches in a 15.5 gal vessel. Just wondering what others have done with their keggles

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with measuring. Set the coil inside your keggle and mark the top of the in and out ends of the coil. Measure to those marks and transfer to the the outside for drilling. Don't make the holes closer than the coil ends. Just remember to leave room below the coil for any valve or an electrical element if you think you might ever convert.

The closer the coil is to the bottom of the keggle, the less water you would need to heat and the more responsive your system would be to changes in temperature.

Good call here. I do want to leave room for a possible heating element in the future besides gas.

The could should be totally submerged at all times correct?

Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back