HERMS Coil As Immersion Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalarchio

Reaction score
Currently I use an immersion chiller that works just fine aside from the whole putting it in and taking it out of the kettle and dealing with the garden hoses. Not to mention it's another item to store and it's not exactly small.

I'm thinking about taking a stainless HERMS coil, installing it in my brew kettle and using that as basically a permanently installed immersion chiller. Has anyone done this?

It would probably be 50' of 1/2" stainless and with compression fittings I could remove it reasonably easy for cleaning if necessary.

A couple thoughts...

The coil is obviously going to be at boil temp when I first hook up the water. That's probably not much different than what happens today since I put the immersion chiller in about 15 minutes before flameout.

I would have to be conscious about getting any residual water out of the chiller otherwise I can see steam shooting out of the side of the kettle. Seems like this could be done easily with an air compressor.

I did this with a small 2 vessel system. The herms coil attached to the lid. Worked well.

I attached to the lid because that way I could clean it. A permanent coil in the pot would be tough to clean

Back