Here's To All You Homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I've been a member on HBT for almost 2 years. I started out a newb just like everyone else did. Although, I'm sure some people like Revvy and BobbyM popped out of the womb as homebrewers with bottle wands in one hand and a mug in the other.

My every day job, when I'm not brewing beer, is being a Med Tech for a Cancer Center in the north central Illinois area. In the 4 years I have worked for this Health System, I have only had 3 coworkers who were beer drinkers. When I would ask, "What is your favorite beer?" the usual answer was "Bud Light, Miller Lite or Corona." Yes, these were women. I had to open their eyes to homebrewing. I was successful with 2 out of 3. The 1 who was not converted to enjoying homebrew preferred your watered down Bud Lite garbage.

The reason I started this note was because I touched someone today. When I say touched, I do not mean in a dirty way! This guy is super cranky with everybody he meets. He will complain about everything and act like he doesn't have a care in the world about anything. For some strange reason this guy liked me from day one, but didn't get along with anyone else. After 6 months of treating this man, I found out he loves beer. My eyes and grin were huge. My back was turned to him, because I was walking him down the hallway to the room I was taking him too.

This guy had been waiting about 45 minutes because we were super busy all day. So keep that in mind as I tell the story. The conversation went as such:

His girlfriend: You know, when we wait to be seated at restaurants we generally get an accommodation for waiting so long.

Me: Well it just so happens I have a bottle of wine for you two in the treatment room.

Patient: I hate wine.

Me: So you must be a beer guy? You know I make beer. Yup. I make me some homebrew. Have it in bottles and on tap in my kitchen.

Patient: Hot damn, no way.

Girlfriend: Honey,this sounds like a great hobby for you! Tell me, where can I find kits for him? Are they expensive?

Me: (I rattle off info about the LHBS and kit info) The hobby is only expensive if you start small and keep adding, or you can just buy big and be set 5 years down the road.

These two people left the clinic with smiles on their faces. And let me tell you, this guy hardly ever smiles.

It just goes to show you that it doesn't matter who you are....you can always make a difference in someone's life. It helps when beer is involved too :mug:

That's a cool story! Plus, how cool that you and beer could make a smile out of a tough situation in a tough place. Alchemy on many levels!

I got one for you. Your story reminded me of something that happened almost 2 years ago. My 85 year old dad (a beer drinker all of his life) was in a hospice suffering from liver cancer. He was on his last few days and I thought, what the hell...."Dad, would you like to have a beer?" He was in the in and out stage of consciousness but when I said that his eyes opened up as wide as I ever saw them. The nurse said why not. The problem was I only had a few cans of Miller Lite left over from my monthly poker game (I don't drink the stuff) so I brought one of those in and gave him a slug. My dad was never fussy about beer so to my surprise he looked at me and said "You call that beer?" ..lol... That was my dad for you. A tough guy that served in the Philippines and New Guinea in WW2 and was there when Gen. MacArthur landed back on the islands. He died two days later. Sure wish I could drink one more beer with him. Even a Miller Lite would do.

I got one for you. Your story reminded me of something that happened almost 2 years ago. My 85 year old dad (a beer drinker all of his life) was in a hospice suffering from liver cancer. He was on his last few days and I thought, what the hell...."Dad, would you like to have a beer?" He was in the in and out stage of consciousness but when I said that his eyes opened up as wide as I ever saw them. The nurse said why not. The problem was I only had a few cans of Miller Lite left over from my monthly poker game (I don't drink the stuff) so I brought one of those in and gave him a slug. My dad was never fussy about beer so to my surprise he looked at me and said "You call that beer?" ..lol... That was my dad for you. A tough guy that served in the Philippines and New Guinea in WW2 and was there when Gen. MacArthur landed back on the islands. He died two days later. Sure wish I could drink one more beer with him. Even a Miller Lite would do.

Something on HBT just almost made me cry. Both great stories.

Cool story. I wonder if it would be ok for you guys to swap homebrews when he does a clinic visit? I'm not sure what the rules are for people in the medical profession. I always try to offer movers and people who repair stuff like my AC beer, but they always say they're on the job and can't drink. I think it's also cool that he reciprocated out of curiosity. I find that the curious ones are more likely to get into it. Here's to another homebrewer! :mug:

hahaha! That was pretty funny man. My dad is the same, except he isn't 85 and wasn't in any wars....
but he would totally say "You call that beer?!" and probably make a yucky face. He might even throw it.

Back