Here's a new use for your shop vac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicided1954

Reaction score
I brewed my first all-grain today. I learned so much from lurking and reading on this site. To say thanks I'm posting this. I'm surprised it hasn't been covered before but I never found it in all of my research over the last several weeks.

I have been using my shop vac as a vacuum pump for my screen printing equipment for several years now. Works great to pull a rubber blanket tight to my exposure unit. I didnt want to buy a march pump yet and didnt want to use a venturi or gravity to feed the chiller so I gave my shopvac vacuum pump a try. It worked great on the glass carboy and the bucket. I have stuck a guage on it and it pulls 2.5" mercury.

I brewed 2 batches today and used it to fill the carboy and the plastic bucket. I transferred 6 gallons from the carboy to the bucket to test the bucket. It barely sucked the top of the bucket in. I pulled 6 gallons through the chiller in 13 minutes. from 212 to 68.

I drilled about 6 holes in a 2" cap. I attached the cap to an inverted adapter stuck into the shopvac. I attached vinyl tubing via a double barbed brass fitting. I drilled extra holes so I didnt dead head the shopvac. I'll be using this to transfer to secondaries and bottling buckets too...

hopefully the pictures work...

Thanks
Darryl

cap.jpg

adapter.jpg

shopvac.jpg

brownale.jpg

bucketcarboy.jpg

13 minutes for 6 gallons through the chiller. I didn't time from the carboy to the bucket.

thats pretty awesome. do you know if there is any extra strain put on the shop vac since its sucking through such a small hose now?

That's why I drilled the extra holes. There are 6 open holes about 5/16" in the cap to keep from burning up the vac. I have been using this shopvac in this capacity for over 5 years.

drilledcap.jpg

wow, i guess i need to read instead of just look at pictures. thanks for clarifying. this is a great idea

Nice idea. Do you do gravity feeds before this idea and if so how much faster is this method?

That what I intended to do with my wine set up as soon as Im all set up to do all grain, almost there by the way.
2-2.jpg

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres prob. a cream for that.
Brilliant idea thinking like this is what sets this forum apart.

I did use my neighbor's 6.2 cfm vacuum pump during testing. it pulled the 6 gallons in 7 minutes. I did have to fiddle with it because it would crush the vinyl tubing. I finally got it to work without crushing the tube.

My whole deal with that is if I'm spending 150.00 for an actual vacuum pump... i might as well buy a march pump which will have more uses.

Mordantly,

I think I'm safe... my junk won't fit in the 1/4 tubing...might leave a little hickey on it though.

Samc,

This was my first brew with this setup. I had done all PM or extract with an immersion chiller and just dumped it into everything. I did gravity feed with this setup during testing but I would have to raise the HLT too high and didnt want to mess with that.

That's a great idea. Have you thought about using that to transfer from the secondary to a keg? I could see it working by removing the gas in post and attaching the vinyl tube directly to the gas threads.

Also, I currently use a march pump and I'd say it takes about 25 minutes to pump a 10 gallon batch through my counterflow and into the carboys, it sounds like you've got a good method at a great price(free).

I got a ShopVac last Christmas that I haven't even used.

I have got to try this. Thanks very much for posting.

Since i just got a shop vac for Christmas i think I may have to give this a try. Thanks for the great idea!

SD

Great idea!
I wish I had seen this last week-my March pump was delivered yesterday.
I built a cfc last year, but gravity fed was too slow.
I then I built a venturi, flow rate was OK, but it leaked - alot.
I went back to using the immersion chiller, and finally ordered a March pump.
I would have tried this first...

That is a simple an innovative idea.
I was planning on buying a march pump but will try to apply your vacuum idea first.

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

Latest posts

Back