Here we go again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billingsbrew

Reaction score
I started a mead last year. It was 14 pounds of buckwheat honey, 12 pounds of clover. Over a period of 6 months I added 10 pounds of spiced inverted sugar, 18 pounds of tart cherries, 8 pounds of sweet flathead cherries. Used EC-1118 yeast. Long story long fermented all this out. Went from an aroma of sheep and after over oaking it, Remington gun oil. Oh ya after splitting this original 8 gallon batch I added 1.75 liters of brandy, 1.75 liters of vodka each to a 3- gallon batch and a 5th of 190 proof everclear to a five gallon batch. I then brewed a 6 gallon batch of black current and pomegranate melomel. The O.G. Was to high (1.142) for the E.C. 1122 and it finnised to sweet(1.042). Then I split this batch and added 4 packs of 1118 in one and continued with 1122 in the original batch. Then mixed this batch with last years to make a melomel that was really tasty. Now made a mead OG 1.098, to blend with all of this as to make a perfect balance. And after all of this I realized what a wonderful addition of acid blend can do for a overly sweet mead! I mostly make big Belgain beers but this mead thing is pretty dang cool!!!

I took a sample of this concoction to the local brew shop. I do belive if I were in prison or on the battle field in 325 BC it would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I keep drinking it because I really like it or I just like the affect. I did add a little tannin and it helped with a little pucker. My kids tased it and didn't spit it out. ( their all well over 21). And that was even better then what I'm used to them saying "you didn't really make this beer". So I think it's time to put this beverage to bed and stick with perhaps "Real Mead". Honey, water, nutrients, yeast.

It may not simply be the recipe, although it does seem to have everything in it - including the kitchen sink. The problem may be the amount of sugar you are asking the yeast to ferment. Eight gallons? but 2.5 - 3 lbs of honey in one gallon of water would be a drinkable mead. Just from the sugar (including the honey) you have 36 pounds of sugar or enough to make at least 12 gallons of mead But if you are making a mead why add sugar???? Mead is made from... honey. I am ignoring the fortifying spirits... and the sugars from the fruit. This isn't really a mead. I am guessing that your recipe was meant to send a rocket into orbit not for drinking You are expecting your yeast to do the impossible.

Oh no it's fine I'm using and Orson Welles futuristic yeast. Ya...... It will do up to 36% alcohol by volume. Well yes in this batch I thought I would throw in the kitchen sink the liner in my pick-up and the lint from the dryer. It may not be a mellow mellow melomel however, I will try to store it away for a future zombie apocalypse. I think I will stick, in the future, to the written literature on the fine qualities of a classic mead.

Latest posts

Back