Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer20D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been a home brewer for many year now but recently desired to attempt the art of wine making. Of course I can't start out simple, my first attempt is a spiced pumpkin pie wine with can pumpkin. I started it Friday night and it tasted and smelled really good, so I put the lid on my bucket and let it set until Saturday night when I pitched my yeast and at that time it still had a good aroma to it. Sunday morning it was bubbling away nicely so I was happy. Monday morning I went down stairs to get work clothes and wow what the heck is that smell????? Everything I used was sanitized so I'm hoping this is normal ???? :confused

It would help to describe the odor. Also, what strain of yeast? If it's a sulfury or "fart-like" smell, it's likely just normal fermentation. There's a whole thread on this site called rhino farts & it talks about the smells of fermenting apfelwein. You can reduce & oftentimes eliminate those odors by using yeast nutrient/energizer & diammonium phosphate (DAP). Some strains of yeast produce more sulfur than others, so that could be an issue as well.
Good news is that those odors will eventually subside & age out of your cider. Time is your friend in this case.
Regards, GF.

Hey GF,
Thanks for your response.... sorry I should have looked a little better, i did find the section on rhino farts.... LOL I used Montrachet for my yeast. I have brewed a lot of beer in my time and never had ( privilege) of smelling rhino farts! I think it is mellowing out a bit, not as pungent and the airlock has slowed a bunch. I'm feeling much better now about this batch. This is a great site, so much info on here..... Thanks again and happy brewing !!!!
brewer20D :mug:

Latest posts

Back