Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keriq8

Reaction score
Hello all you brewers out there. My name is Keri, I'm from South Wales in the UK and I've recently moved so Saudi Arabia to work.
As some of you will know Saudi is a dry country where alcohol is prohibited.
I live on a compound where many people make their own however the local beer is not very nice. It is basically re booted non alcoholic lager using white cane sugar and bakers yeast.
I have just read John Palmers very good book called "How to Brew" and I am sure that I could do it my self.
I do however have some limitations. The only yeast available is bakers yeast and I have no idea where to get hops out here.
Other than that I'm pretty sure I could make a malt and all the equipment needed.
Could anyone suggest a recipe without hops that might cover the taste of the yeast. Or maybe just some general advice.
I'd really appreciate it.

Without hops, I'd think you're going to be in a tough spot. There are Colonial American recipes I've read where they use the buds, needles or tips of spruce trees. But I doubt you'd be able to get those where you're at, too.

I'd try my best ot get at least one variety of pellet hops (ships easier, stores better than whole) from a mail order house. I'd stick with a noble hop, like Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz, Spalt, Fuggles or East Kent Golding.

You can get a good, inexpensive packet of dry yeast from any mail order house, too. People have had good success with Danstar Windsor and Nottingham yeast.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

You should find a friend in the drinkin world to send you some dry yeast. Kept refrigerated it will last a couple years.

If you ever make it back west you could get pre-hopped malt extract, really all that takes is water and yeast and kept sealed up will last a while.

But, above all, don't do anything that will get you stoned! (you know what I mean)

Cheers for the advice everyone, I guess if I want to make beer I'll have to start smuggling then. Mead is an interesting option I might try that. I will post a thread once I've made something and let you all know whether it kills me or not. Thanks again.

Back