help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrecords

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to brewing and I just started my first batch. It is an oatmeal stout and it has been in the carboy for around 15 or 16 hour and there is only a small amount of activity. I was wounding if this is normal and if not what I should do

I wouldn't worry yet. I've only been doing this a short while, but from what I've heard/read, as long as you see SOME activity in the first 24 hours, you should be fine. Depending on the type of yeast and countless other factors, it may take a little longer to really get going. Like I said, I wouldn't be worried yet.

Exactly....some yeasts won't really get going for 48hrs. Normally up to 24 hours is pretty typical lag time. Just sit back, relax, drink some beer and wait. :mug:

The more O2 you can put in the wort the quicker and the more consistent the beer will ferment. I started off using the "shake the hell out of it" method and my fermentation really started about 24 hour after I put it in. Now I use the pure O2 and a air stone method and I start to ferment in about 2 hour. When you boil the wort you remove all the O2 so you have to get it back in there. Also the quicker you can get the frementaion to start the less chance you have of having bacteria growing. The fermentaion will cause a layer of CO2 on top of the beer and all will be good.

I worried about my fermentation on my first batch, but after 36 hours or so, it was going strong.

Now I don't worry too much about it.

If you don't see anything after two days, try to aerate or re-pitch.

Back