Help with water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBVC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my water report back from Ward Labs and would like some expert advice as to where I go from here. I am brewing an eleven gallon all grain batch of Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown this weekend and was wondering if someone could give me an idea about where to start. I have read a lot of the water chemistry primer and was thinking that I would go with the recommended water profile for stouts and porters. I wasn't sure given the softness of my water if I need to bother diluting it with RO water or just go with it as is. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the Ward Labs report.

pH 7.5
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 105
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.17
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.6 / 1.5
ppm
Sodium, Na 19
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 9
Magnesium, Mg 4
Total Hardness, CaCO3 39
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 9
Chloride, Cl 10
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 38
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 31
Total Phosphorus, P 0.63
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Here is the grain bill:

20.0*lb (73.4%) Maris Otter Pale
2.25*lb (8.3%) Carapils
2.25*lb (8.3%) Crystal Malt 40°L
1.75*lb (6.4%) Wheat Malt
1.00*lb (3.7%) Chocolate Malt

Thanks,
Keith

Given that your alkalinity is pretty low and that you have some chocolate and crystal I think you could just go with what you have i.e. no dilution. Given that there is some calcium, some chloride and a fair amount of sulfate you could try half a tsp of calcium chloride rather than a full one (per 5 gal).

Thanks a lot AJ. I have been reading these forums for years and have come across a lot of your threads. Your advice is appreciated.

Back