Help with Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

619Brewer

Reaction score
So I brewed what I was attempting to make a Peanut Butter Stout on the 3rd of November. Had a Snafu with the mastun...We forgot to put in the manifold and had to perform emergency surgery with 160 degree strike water sloshing around on our hands...not fun.

Anyways, other than screwing up my mash temps and ultimately the efficiency, the brew went well. It's been sitting in primary since that day and I've dryhopped the vanilla and peanut powder and cacao nibs. I took a gravity two days ago and it came in at 1.021 and tested it again today and it's still 1.021. Today, however, I tasted it, and its got a green apple flavor which suggests that it's not done conditioning...right?

Question is, should I be doing anything to help this beer along? Or should I just be more patient and keep taste testing it every so often?

Rack the beer to secondary maybe that will wake up some of the yeast. What was OG and how much did you pitch?

As for fermentation that gives you about 6.95% ABV of Alcohol. It appears to be about 71 % Attentuation, which is a bit low--the minimum for 05 is 73% according to BeerSmith.

It is highly likely that your problems with temp and the mash left you with a more dextrinous wort, so little if any more is going to happen. Your right that the green apple could mean that it is still conditioning. If you want to try to push for a few more points you could either rack into a secondary, making sure to swirl up some yeast from the bottom. Or you could use a santized object to swirl up some of the yeast cake, being careful not to introduce oxygen by swirling too hard.

If it were me, I'd let it ride where it is to finish conditioning, but make sure it is not sitting too cold. I don't see where you live. Where I am in South Texas a too cold fermentation is not a problem, but many in more northern climes have to keep the temp up into the proper range.

As for fermentation that gives you about 6.95% ABV of Alcohol. It appears to be about 71 % Attentuation, which is a bit low--the minimum for 05 is 73% according to BeerSmith.

It is highly likely that your problems with temp and the mash left you with a more dextrinous wort, so little if any more is going to happen. Your right that the green apple could mean that it is still conditioning. If you want to try to push for a few more points you could either rack into a secondary, making sure to swirl up some yeast from the bottom. Or you could use a santized object to swirl up some of the yeast cake, being careful not to introduce oxygen by swirling too hard.

If it were me, I'd let it ride where it is to finish conditioning, but make sure it is not sitting too cold. I don't see where you live. Where I am in South Texas a too cold fermentation is not a problem, but many in more northern climes have to keep the temp up into the proper range.

I'm in Southern California and where I've been keeping it it has consistently stayed 70-72F throughout fermentation.

How long do you think it will take to get rid of the off flavor?

Back