Help with stout Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
Ok I got to thinking and was readign what I could find here about Maple syrup. I would like to use some in a stout beer. I don't care for the roasted (coffee) flavor of a lot of stouts. So I was thinking a little sweeter using Maple Syrup. Stout or Porter I would like some real good ideas here please. I know you are a bunch of Home Brew Guru's help me with this I was thinking extract with steeping grains or I can try my first partial mash. never have and would like to try and see how it goes. All comments and thoughts welcome please help.:mug::mug:

The problem with adding any sugar to a recipe is that it ferments, so adding maple syrup to your beer won't make it any sweeter. If you want a sweeter beer try making a sweet or milk stout, adding lactose (an unfermentable sugar) will help.

If you don't like the coffee flavor I would avoid roasted barley, so use black patent, chocolate, an/or carafa for color. Some people will tell you that this will make a porter, but there are plenty of current and historical stouts that don't use roasted barley (Sierra Nevada Stout for example).

Here is a (modified) recipe that I did with good results (you can add the lactose to taste at bottling time, .5-1 lbs is the general range you should be looking at):

5 lbs Pale DME
.625 lbs CaraMunich III (any medium-dark crystal would work)
7.5 oz of Carafa 1
7.5 oz of Pale Chocolate
5 oz Black Patent
Adding some chalk or baking soda really helps mellow the bite of dark malts, but if you don't know what your water is like I would skip this.

OG 1.053

Enough hops (I used nugget) at 60 minutes to get to ~20 IBUs.

Ferment around 65 with American Ale yeast (001/1056)

If you really want to use maple syrup, I would go with Grade B (which is more flavorful than the fancy grade A stuff) and add it in the secondary so less of the aromatics gets scrubbed out.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Wow this helps quite a bit. I would have hoped for more responses and ideas, but maybe most people were out of town this weekend like myself. lol :tank::mug:

IIRC, there's at least one brewer in the northeast who uses freshly collected maple sap instead of water for brewing during the harvest season. Since the sap is very thin before processing, it works better than it sounds like it should.

Here's a link to a recipe using the technique:
http://***********/stories/recipes/...s/110-smoked-beer/1412-smoked-maple-amber-ale

Back