help with SMASH reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonmo

Reaction score
Today I'm going to try my first SMASH. I do 2.5 gallon all grain batches, and the two ingredients in this SMASH will be Maris Otter and Centennial. I'm trying to do this as an IPA that is pretty darn hoppy, which is a style a prefer. I'm using all leaf hops as I have a big old bag of 'em in the freezer. Any thoughts?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.15 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.86 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 91.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.50 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Boil 60 2 26.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Boil 30 3 20.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Boil 15 4 13.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Boil 10 5 19.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Boil 5 6 10.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Stee Flame out 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 8 -
1.00 oz Centennial (whole leaf) [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 8.75 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 0.90gal, 0.90gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:

My main thought is sounds yummy! I think those might be my ideal choices if I was going to make a smash IPA (though I'd probably be using an American yeast). I don't tend to do a 30 min addition on IPA's but that's ticky-tack/preference stuff. You might consider adjusting your volumes with all those leaf hops unless you've already accounted for that.

Thanks chickypad. I was wondering about volumes, actually. But I'm already mashing. Any suggestions at this point? I do a batch sparge where I drain my tun, then do 2 add'l sparges at .9 gallons each. I'm about to finish up the last .9 sparge. Should I just do another one? Any ideas on how to calculate that?

Sorry I can't give you great advice on the numbers, I was just going off the one and only time I did an IPA with a lot of leaf hops in the boil. I remember I came in pretty short on volume into the fermenter but can't recall the exact numbers. Anyway if you were going to go up on the volume you probably would have wanted to up the grainbill too.

Report how it turns out, I'm might have to put this on the brew list!
:mug:

I just made my first SMaSH IIPA on Monday night!

I made a two-gallon batch and used 6-lbs of Maris Otter (I was going to use 6.25, but the store only had 6-lbs). I did a 0.6 ounce hop addition (Simcoe) at 60 minutes, and 0.2 ounces at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 1 minute. I'm going to be dry-hopping 0.5 ounces tonight.

I'd say our recipes are pretty similar, but with my Simcoe hops at 13% AA, I'll be around 115 IBUs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok, I'll make some notes and report back. I read somewhere that 1 oz of dry hops absorbs .15 quarts, so I'm estimating a .5 quart loss, which is not terrible. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to go US-05 as per your thoughts. Maybe I'll move the 30 min to something later? Double up on the 15 or the 10?

Thanks for the tips. I am going to go US-05 as per your thoughts. Maybe I'll move the 30 min to something later? Double up on the 15 or the 10?

Okay now it really sounds yummy :)
You've got plenty of IBU's I think you could put it anywhere. So many ways you can go with IPA's, though I do like the results lately experimenting with doing almost all late and/or whirlpool additions. Or you can leave it as is, Pliny is probably my favorite beer and I think Vinny's clone has both a 45 and a 30 min addition.

Don't overthink a SMaSH beer. Keep the OG at a reasonable and target a firm but reasonable bitterness. You want balance so you can taste the malt and hops. Simple, simple, simple.

I did a smash with m/o and hallertau. Just bottled it today. Used 1/2 ounce hops.

Small batch 1 gallon. Just to try m/o. Never had it before.

update: brew went well. With 4.5 oz of leaf hops there was a decent amount of wort lost, a little more than I had calculated. But otherwise, all went well. Will report back in a few weeks when I taste.

Latest posts

Back