Help with small mash Tun build problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAZZ

Reaction score
I put together a 70 qt. Mash Tun this week. All went well and it works great. The only problem is on the inside I used an electrical conduit box lock nut that I thought was stainless steel. I kept water in the cooler over night to check for leaks and it looks like rust on that nut. I guess it is galvinized. should I relace it with something stainless or is it OK to use for just an hour mash.
Thanks for the help
NAZZ

I put together a 70 qt. Mash Tun this week. All went well and it works great. The only problem is on the inside I used an electrical conduit box lock nut that I thought was stainless steel. I kept water in the cooler over night to check for leaks and it looks like rust on that nut. I guess it is galvinized. should I relace it with something stainless or is it OK to use for just an hour mash.
Thanks for the help
NAZZ

Replace it.

plastic zip tie won't work, I need something like a nut and washer to put pressure on the coolers rubber washer to keep it water tight. If I can't find a thin enough SS nut maybe i can find a plastic nut and washer.

plastic zip tie won't work, I need something like a nut and washer to put pressure on the coolers rubber washer to keep it water tight. If I can't find a thin enough SS nut maybe i can find a plastic nut and washer.

You should be able to find said nut. Check out BarginFittings. He's a member here and he sells the required parts.

Happy brewing.:mug:

The plastic nut and washer must be rated food grade and high temp, from what I understand. Stainless is your best option.

I guess the problem I am having is the hole in my cooler is larger than I thought it was going to be. I had to use a 3/4" nipple to make it a better fit. I can't find SS washers and nuts in 3/4" at bargainfittings.com or weldlessfittings.com. It all seems to be 1/2".

check out your local mom-and-pop hardware store for some nylon fittings. or a plumbing supply shop. Nylons fittings will work just fine.

I found 3/4" SS washers at Lowes. They are in the slide out drawers in the isle with nuts and bolts.

Yes I found them also. When I got them home they were a little too small to fit over the 3/4" nipple. I don't have a way to grind out the middle to make them larger. I did find a 3/4" female to 1/2" reducer. I am going to try and hack saw it in half and I think that should work.

I had to make the hole in my washers a hair larger so drilled them. Of course I already had a 3/4 bit so it worked out. Have you checked any boat shops, they usually carry alot of stainless steel hardware.

I found a cpvc fitting and hack sawed it in half and used that as a nut. It worked great. thanks for all the help.
NAZZ

Back