Help with Priming a Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svudah

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a very inauthentic doppelbock made with extract and munton's ale yeast that I think is almost ready to be bottled. I brewed on the 12th and after a few days on heavy fermentation at 65 degrees my OG of 1.100 dropped down to 1.042 and then pretty much quit. I was hoping to get this down a little further, but now I'm thinking it's just past the alcohol threshold for the ale yeast. It's been sitting in a secondary in my cold garage (40-45F) since the 19th. Anyway, there's obviously alot of unfermented sugar left in the beer and I was wondering what to do about priming when I do decide to bottle. Is extra sugar/DME/whatever even necessary? And, if it is indeed past the alcohol threshold for the yeast, will it carbonate at all?

I'd appreciate any input.
Thanks

First, get it out of the garage and into the house to warm it up. At that temp the yeast is going to go dormant and stop fermenting. If you post your recipe and yeast we can run some numbers. 58% attenuation seems low for any type of yeast.

Jeebus man! You've been signed up here longer than I, and this is your SECOND post? :p

Yeah, I'm just a total homebrew forum slacker. My brewing took an extended hiatus, but I'm back on track now. Here's the recipe which I put together myself, which was probably a mistake:
4 oz. choc. malt and
4. oz roasted barley steeped in one gallon of cold tap water. I removed them at 160 degrees.

2 pounds Dark LME
2 pounds Dark DME
.5 oz Halletrauer @ 60 min.
.25 oz. Halletrauer @ 45 min.

I tossed the cooled wort into two one gallon wine jugs half filled with pre-boiled, cool water. Then I pitched one packet of rehydrated Munton's Ale yeast, half into each jug. The wort was right around 80 degrees.

Like I said, I moved one jug's worth over to a secondary after a week, but I have one still chilling in it's primary. Both read the same 1.040.

Latest posts

Back