Help with Peach Belgian recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rginsburg

Reaction score
Here's a recipe I've pulled together from a couple places. First time brewing a belgian so any help would be much appreciated:

6 lb pilsen malt
3 lb vienna malt
2 lb honey malt

Mash @ 152f

Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheat or Wyeast 1762

1 oz. Hallertau (60 minutes)

2 oz. Cinnamon (Mash)
2 oz. Nutmeg (Mash)

12 oz. Walnuts (Primary)
4 oz. Almonds (Primary)

60 oz. Peach pureee (Primary)

15 oz. Fresh Peaches (Primary)

Cheers!

Frist thing that I notice is you need to cut back the honey malt by a large margin. Its pretty potent and I never go above a pound for a 5gal batch. Even my honey flavored Winnie the Pale Ale only uses 8oz along with some real honey.

You can sub some sugar in for the honey malt to help dry out the beer. Many authentic belgians use some type of sugar to get a lean body along with high carb volumes that the styles are known for. Mashing lower (i usually do 148 or 150) will help too

interesting recipe youve got there. I might suggest adding the spices to the primary or making a tincture to help dial in the levels. I have much better results from adding stuff like that cold side

1) I second the call on 2 lb of honey malt is a lot for the recipe.

2) I'm unsure what the addition of Cinnamon and Nutmeg to the mash will do. Traditionally spices are near flameout or primary/secondary.

3) With the nuts and spices, I assume you are going for some sort of crumble/pie spoof. If that's the case, Biscuit Malt or Maris Otter would be really nice to compliment that. If not, ignore what I just said.

4) I just wrapped up a Peach IPA recently. My biggest lesson learned as peach is a very delicate flavor. I used 3 lb peach puree and 2 lb apricot puree and none of the flavor/aroma survived. I too added it into the primary, and the amount of activity just washed the delicate flavors away. While I rarely condone a secondary, this would be a good time for it.

5) Some advice that I received recently for Belgians is to take a 6 pack of raisins and puree it with some of the wort around the 30 min mark and re-add it into the wort. An idea, nothing really with regards to the recipe.

6) Belgian Yeast doesn't make a beer a Belgian Style. As stated before, try mashing lower and use candi sugar to dry it out to traditional Belgian levels.

Me, I'd go with a saison yeast, or your second choice the strong ale yeast. If you want it light and dry you should definitely add 1lb of table sugar (or you could use fancier sugar if you want) in place of the honey malt you remove.

What beer is in your mind as a starting point or inspiration for this?

This recipe looks like an awesome idea, but I agree with input above, it needs some adjustments

I think its supposed to be like a Peach Cobbler tasting beer. Definitely sounds interesting. Maybe a trappist yeast like 3522/550 fermented warm would give some nice apple and pear flavors to bring it all together

Currently making a couple of the adjustment and will repost. No particular beer in mind, just trying to vary the types of beer I make ( I've made a couple ipas, a brown ale and a cream ale). Just a good, solid belgian

Back