Help with my setup - HERMS? Cleanup issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
So I'm ready to take the plunge on a brewstand and I have a few questions after doing a bunch of research. I am going for a single tier stand with 3 burners and 3 converted kegs.

I have never brewed with pumps before or a HERMS system - I'm deciding on this vs. direct fire.

HERMS - it seems that this would be the best way to brew for taste as well as beer clarity. The simplicity of the direct fire is very enticing though. Thoughts here?

I have been reading up but am still baffled as to the temp to keep the liquid in the tank with the HERMS coil as I want to keep recirculating throughout the mash. I can't find a number in my beersmith for it either.

The guy who is building my stand says he can make the coil with quick connects for easy removal and cleanup. What is involved in the cleanup of the HERMS coil as well as the pumps? Can I just run through some Oxyclean or PBW and call it good?

Thanks!

HERMS means you don't really need that third burner under the mash. The coil is basically clean by the time you're done with the sparge because you route your sparge water through the coil on the way to the mash. Yes, recirculating some PBW works, and then a good rinse with hose water.

I am using HEX coil to chill the wort (after CFC cools it to 80's) so I have to clean coil after brewday.
My solution: while cleaning MLT and BK I heat some water in HLT, and then circulate it trough whole chilling line: HLT-> PUMP 1-> HEX coil-> PUMP 2-> CFC-> out to sink.
I always leave HEX and CFC full of (clean) water to prevent oxidizing of copper, not sure if it makes sense though..

Back