Help with my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
So in my brew club, we are having a homebrew contest. All people participating had to pick a style out of a hat, and a type of hops. I got American Rye and cascade. So I am thinking of some kind of American Red Rye pale ale. Not sure if this will work. I saw a clone of founders red rye ipa on the site, and tweaked it a bit to include the cascade and lower the IBU's a bit. Can you tell me your feedback?

6 Gallon all grain

8.5 lbs of American 2-Row
3 lbs Rye
2 lbs medium Crystal
1.25 lbs Carapils
.5 lbs Aromatic

1oz cascade 60 mins
1.5 cascade 30 mins
1 cascade 15mins
2 cascade 5 mins
and 2 dry hop for a week or so

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

A quick trip to an online calculator shows an OG of 1.066 and 62 IBUs assuming 75% efficiency. All the numbers are high for an APA according to the guidelines. That being said, this would likely be a tasty beer just a little stronger abv and hoppier than you might be shooting for. The rye gives a nice spice note to the malt profile that might get lost in the bitterness. I would scale it all back a little and shoot for a starting gravity in the mid range between 1.050 - 1.060 dependent of course on what you want for an end result.

A quick trip to an online calculator shows an OG of 1.066 and 62 IBUs assuming 75% efficiency. All the numbers are high for an APA according to the guidelines. That being said, this would likely be a tasty beer just a little stronger abv and hoppier than you might be shooting for. The rye gives a nice spice note to the malt profile that might get lost in the bitterness. I would scale it all back a little and shoot for a starting gravity in the mid range between 1.050 - 1.060 dependent of course on what you want for an end result.

I was wondering if the hops would overpower the Rye. How does founders get away with it? their ibus are higher and you can still taste the Rye?

alright so i went i a completely different direction now. Like a American Rye, now tell me what you think. I know its a little high in alchol, but i like it that way.

8.5 lbs two row
3 lbs Rye
1.25 Carapils
1 cara munich
1 medium crystal

cascade additions
1oz 60
1oz 30
1oz 5

Back