Help with my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1dookie

Reaction score
so, I bought a robobrew thinking it’d be a faster easier brew day with one vessel. So my first attempt with the new toy I was attempting a Cali common the recipe from brewing great beers I don’t know why but my OG ended up being really low, 1.02 so I added 2# of brown sugar to the boil, which brought it up to 1.05. It’s being fermented at the moment and I’m worried that I won’t end up with the malty taste that the beer should have. Should I add a pound of DME to the fermenter?

I don't have experience using electric brewing systems, but that sounds to me like your mash temp was way too low. What was your process? Adding that much sugar is going to dry it out a LOT, and won't give you any flavor in return.

Personally, I keep DME on hand for yeast starters and to add to wort that may need a little boost ( I BIAB) the brown sugar you added is likely to dry out your beer and possibly add notes of molasses if you meant brown sugar as used in baking. Another possibility would be to add honey to the fermentor, however, you do risk contamination if you aren't careful. I think let it ride and you'll have a light ABV but flavor. What you really want is to figure out why you didn't have the result you thought you would.

When you added the brown sugar you eliminated the chance of a malty beer and it is too late to back up and start over. Start planning your next batch.

The usual reason for low OG is a poor crush on the grain. If you have a mill, tighten it up. If you don't have a mill, get one. Your Robobrew should be capable of using very fine milled grain. If so, a Corona style mill will only cost you about $20 if you are in the US. You can get them special ordered at Walmart.

When you added the brown sugar you eliminated the chance of a malty beer and it is too late to back up and start over. Start planning your next batch.

The usual reason for low OG is a poor crush on the grain. If you have a mill, tighten it up. If you don't have a mill, get one. Your Robobrew should be capable of using very fine milled grain. If so, a Corona style mill will only cost you about $20 if you are in the US. You can get them special ordered at Walmart.
its the regular crush from my LHBS the mash temp was at 152.

SO, couple weeks later and it’s not too bad. Not as malty as I’d hope but still a very good beer

Back