Help with Lavender & Peppercorn Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
I am creating a recipe for a lavender pepper porter and I'm having a hard time figuring out the amounts for the lavender and pepper.

I don't want subtle and I don't want extreme. I'm shooting for somewhere in the middle or slightly above so the aroma is clearly both porter and lavender (maybe even some peppery aroma in the nose) and the flavors are porter and a bit of a zing from the pepper (possibly a little lavender flavor as well).

Here is the recipe I have so far.

-------------------------------
LAVENDER PEPPER PORTER
-------------------------------
Batch Size: 3.1 gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Calculated Boil Size: 3.7 gallons

6.32 lbs. 2-Row
0.6 lbs. Caramalt (11 L)
0.6 lbs. Roasted Barley (300 L)
0.4 lbs. Crisp Carapils (1.8 L)
0.4 lbs. Chocolate Malt (350 L)
0.3 lbs. Caramel Malt 90 L

0.40 oz. Fuggle (US) @ 60 minutes

YEAST: S-04

1 1/2 teaspoons crushed peppercorn blend* @ 15 minutes

1 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender flowers @ 0 minutes

Prime the beer with 2/3 cup Torani Lavender syrup. (Maybe more?)

*Peppercorn blend = black, white, green and pink peppercorns

What do you guys/gals think? Should I include some crushed peppercorns around 5 min or 0 min for a peppery aroma? How's the recipe look overall? Would love some feedback Thanks!

EDIT: Was thinking about maybe ordering some of this lavender flavoring, but not sure how to use it in the brew. Any ideas? The link is below.

http://www.beanilla.com/lavender-flavor-extract

I ran your list of ingredients through Brewer's Friend* and came up with OG 1070, FG 1017, IBU 10, SRM 40. Which doesn't actually line up with a style (which might not bother you).
Assumed 70% brewhouse efficiency

I would trade the CaraPils and CaraMalt for 8 oz. of C40L. The lighter crystal malts are going to contribute mostly sweetness and dextrine, while going for a medium crystal will contribute flavor as well. You could reduce the roasted barley and chocolate malts to 4 oz. each to lighten the color a little, and reduce your pale two-row to 6 lbs. to lighten the OG to 1060 - more in the porter range. And you might bump up the Fuggles to a full ounce to get enough bitterness to balance your malt.

Have you ever brewed with lavender before? According to Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head), it can easily overwhelm your beer. You might want to start very light, maybe 1/4 tsp., and work on the level of lavendar in a secondary fermenter, treating it like dry hopping.

Post your result.

Thanks for the response sptaylor. Appreciate it.

how does this look?

6.00 lbs. 2-Row
4.00 oz. Roasted Barley (300 L)
4.00 oz. Chocolate Malt (350 L)
4.80 oz. Caramel Malt 90 L
8.00 oz. Caramel Malt 40 L

1.00 oz. Fuggle (US) @ 60 minutes

I haven't ran the numbers yet, but what do you think?

This looks like a robust porter. As I said, be careful with the lavender, but, with proper attention, this can be outstanding.

Subscribed! This sounds like a great beer. When are you going to brew it? Are you planning on reporting back with how it turns out? Will you ship me some once you are done? I'd happily cover the freight or send something your way.

Ok, I think I've got it! Below is the recipe I think I'm going to go with. A couple of things concern me though. Is that too heavy on the hops? This recipe is for a 3 gallon batch, not five. Also, the peppercorn and lavender amounts I have listed are for 5 gallon recipes. How can I adjust those levels? OR should I leave them be? Thanks!

6.00 lbs. 2-Row
4.00 oz. Roasted Barley (300 L)
4.00 oz. Chocolate Malt (350 L)
4.80 oz. Caramel Malt 90 L
8.00 oz. Caramel Malt 40 L

1.00 oz. Fuggle (US) @ 60 minutes

0.50 oz. ground peppercorns @ 15 minutes
0.50 oz. ground peppercorns @ 0 minutes
0.50 oz. Dried lavender flowers @ 0 minutes

Yeast: Safale s-04

Prime beer with Torani Lavender syrup

I did the calculations assuming 3.1 gallons and 70% brewhouse efficiency. OG 1060, FG 1015, IBU 30, SRM 28. Right down the line for a robust porter, almost dead-center balanced.

I would go with 0.3 oz. for each (0.5 oz. for 5 gallons, 0.3 oz. for 3 gallons) peppercorn addition, and 0.2 oz. for the lavender until you taste it to see where you are. You can always add more.

Hey guys! Just wanted to let everyone know that I am finally going to brew this today. I know it's been awhile, but wanted to update for those that are interested in following.

I know what you mean Zymurgist. I never gave the idea much thought, but then it just popped into my head one day! I'm only using 0.20 oz. of dried lavender flowers @ 0 minutes for a 3 gallon batch. I hope it shows up. I don't want to overwhelm the beer. I guess if anything I can always add more lavender to secondary.

I'll keep everyone posted!

I just brewed this last night and the fermenter smells delicious! It's both peppery and floral without either coming on too strong. I'm excited and can't wait to taste this beer!

I'm still thinking about priming with Torani Lavender syrup.(http://www.torani.com/products/lavender-syrup)

Any thoughts on that?

I just bottled the lavender pepper porter last night.

I think the lavender was overshadowed by the pepper because I didn't get any lavender aroma at all. I did choose to stay on the safe side so next time I brew this I think I'll step it up a bit. Either that or I'll prime with Torani Lavender syrup or throw some dried lavender flowers into secondary.

Now, the flavor on this beer is pretty damn tasty. The flavor is peppery but not overly spicy and totally juicy like a good steak. My mouth was watering.

I'm excited to see what this is like when it's finished and carbonated.

Looks like I've got a mighty fine robust porter on my hands. I'm pretty pleased. :D

I'll have to update with some pictures and final tasting notes on this when it's finished.

Anybody interested?

I cracked open my first bottle of the Lavender Pepper Porter the other day and thought I would give you guys a review. I'm pretty pleased with the beer and know what I need to tweak for next time. Enjoy!

AROMA: slightly roasted with some light chocolate notes and spicy floral aromatics.

APPEARANCE: The body is thin, but not watery and I think it works good for this style. I mashed a little low and will keep this in mind for next time.

The color of this beer is wonderful. Blackish brown with tints of red and orange when held up to the light. Mostly it is similar in appearance to beef broth.

FLAVOR: Starts with notes of coffee, some caramel, followed by subtle pepper flavors. Some warmth there, but mostly savory and juicy like a good steak.

Overall, a fine example of a robust porter.

NOTES: I may mash this at a higher temperature next time to achieve a thicker body, but not important.

A lot if not all of the lavender was missing from the beer. I had read that brewing with too much lavender can make your beer taste like soap so I was cautious with my additions. Next time I might try adding dried lavender flowers in secondary fermentation and/or priming the beer with Torani lavender syrup.

10622960_10155127593940593_4938537653133326125_n.jpg

Back