Help with Keggle Decision...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtswkd

Reaction score
Today I got 3 used beer kegs for $75 off of craigslist (screaming deal I think). I have a straight sided AB keg, a barrel shaped Coors keg and a 13 gal Guinness keg (awesome).

I am trying to figure out which keg to use and what to do with the others. I plan on doing BIAB after a few extract brews to get my feet wet, and will most likely stay with BIAB.

I'm thinking the AB keg is the best for keggle duty because of its capacity and its straight sides. I think the Guinness keg is really cool and want to use it for something, but I don't know if it would make a good fermentation vessel or something though i don't plan on making batches over 5 Gals anytime soon.

Would the Guiness one work too for BIAB? If so I think I may want to use that one. Any ideas for the others??

build you E-BIAB with the AB keg, you could ferment in the other two if you wanted, but save them... that would be a kick ass setup with the guinness keg as a HLT, the coors keg as a mash tun and the AB keg as a boil kettle. you could do it gravity so you dont have to buy a pump. Just a thought... brewing is contagious and you will eventually want to upgrade... trust me i know.. im an addict :p

I just made a keggle, and fortunately, I did not have the plethora of choices you have :)

My most significant hang up was the burner. So I would size them all up to whatever burner you have and which ever one fits mostly the best is the one I would select. I also prefer the straight sides as you mentioned.

The other thing is that there should be next to no obstacle preventing you from brewing 10 gallons if you wanted to. You may not want to now, but I bet you do eventually.

cheers!

I'd use the Guiness keg to make a cool mancave lamp out of, the AB for your BIAB pot and toss the coors one away on general principal that it once held coors. :cross:

I'd use the Guiness keg to make a cool mancave lamp out of, the AB for your BIAB pot and toss the coors one away on general principal that it once held coors. :cross:

I agree on the lamp idea, Awesome Idea!

Maybe the coors could be a grill? I will use the AB keg and then save the other two for something else down the road. Who knows, I may want to go 3 tier after a few brews.

I have a machine shop nearby that my Step-Father knows the owner, gonne get a bung welded in the bottom with 1/2 NPT male on outside and female on inside so I can install a diptube and ball valve. Sound about right?

dont forget to cut gas holes in the skirt so you dont end up with a keg bomb!

Also position the valve not above one of the holes or the factory holes to protect it from flames and bypass heat.

Back