Help with Kegging noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrobrew

Reaction score
I've read the forums and watching a few videos on kegging and there's a few things I don't understand. I think I'm just missing the terminology or something.

I bought my setup from kegconnection. I'm tryiing to follow their instructions for force carbing here: http://draftbeerinfo.com/?p=95

"Leave about 15# of pressure on the keg while you cool overnight."

Does that mean turn the C02 tank to 15psi and leave the tank on 15psi all night? Or just put 15psi on the beer and unhook the tank and let it sit overnight? I decided to leave the tank on last night... hope that was the right call.

Does the gas always have to be turned on to keep the beer carbonated?

Thanks!

Once the beer is fully carbonated, you can disconnect it and it will remain fully carbonated just like a bottle of beer does.
If I'm going to put the keg into the cooler right after I fill it, I hit it with about 30psi to ensure a good seal, check for leaks with soapy water then drop pressure to 12psi, leave it connected at 12psi, and let it sit for about 3 weeks for the best result. You made the right call. either way was o.k. Since you left it at 15psi until it cooled, now you can adjust your pressure at your current temperature for the carb level you want and just leave it hooked up until your ready to sample.

so after letting it sit three weeks and you disconnect it. Can you just carry the 5gal keg around with a party tap and serve without needed C02?

so after letting it sit three weeks and you disconnect it. Can you just carry the 5gal keg around with a party tap and serve without needed C02?

I don't think so, you need the constant CO2 pressure to push out the liquid.

Once the beer is fully carbonated, you can disconnect it and it will remain fully carbonated just like a bottle of beer does.
If I'm going to put the keg into the cooler right after I fill it, I hit it with about 30psi to ensure a good seal, check for leaks with soapy water then drop pressure to 12psi, leave it connected at 12psi, and let it sit for about 3 weeks for the best result. You made the right call. either way was o.k. Since you left it at 15psi until it cooled, now you can adjust your pressure at your current temperature for the carb level you want and just leave it hooked up until your ready to sample.

So I'm confused...First you say you can take it off the gas while it's carbing and conditioning, then you say you leave it on the gas. Why?

natewv said:
So I'm confused...First you say you can take it off the gas while it's carbing and conditioning, then you say you leave it on the gas. Why?

After it's carbonated the way you like you can take it off the gas. You can even serve without the gas, but after drinking a few (about eight to twelve beers in my experience) you'll need to hook it back up to gas at 10psi or so. As you drink without it being on gas the pressure will start to drop each time you pour a glass. I don't have the ability to keep my keg hooked up to gas all the time so I do this often, wish I did but this works fine.

Back