Help with keg disassembly.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
My cousin gave me a few pin locks that I am trying to take apart and clean. I managed to get the gas in (two pin) post off with a wrench. I will have to rig up a socket to get the liquid post off. The question is this: I can't figure out how to get the poppet valve out of the post. The feet of the poppet seem to sit on a "lip" on the inside of the post. I would like to replace all the O-rings and clean the poppets well before attempting to use this and was hoping someone could offer some direction. Thanks.

Webbie

Get a phillips head screwdriver, and push in on the poppet. (Just like you would, if you were venting Co2 out of the keg.) The poppet will pop out of the fitting.

steve

I have tried pushing it out from the top. It really does appear that the legs of the poppet are resting on a lip on the inside of the post and pushing it will not get the poppet out. I almost think I will have to try to pry one of the poppet legs over the lip to get it to come out.

I think pin lock poppets fit differently than ball lock poppets, which do just pop out with a little push.

don't quote me but I think you're right, that you need to bend one of the feet a little.

its possible too, that someone, sometime, replaced it with the wrong style poppet.

I may fiddle with it when the wife gets back from shopping and takes her turn with the boys. I don't want to damage the poppet, but would really like to remove it to give it a good cleaning.

They don't sit on a ledge, but they're more pressure fit than ball locks are. Trust me, they'll push out if you apply enough pressure from the top. I use a little screwdriver. Oh, don't trying holding it in your hand. Put it down on the work bench or you'll get the three prongs embedded in your hand.

Bobby M you were right sorta. I put it down on the floor and took a screwdriver and pressed it out. The bad part was that it came out in three pieces. The prong feet, spring, and valve body are now apart. I assume it is safe to say I broke this valve and will now have to figure out which replacement fits it.

Edit: I got the poppet back together. Think is will still work?

I am not sure what happened. I did get it back together, and don't thing the poppet will have a problem since there is the spring to keep it in place in the post.
I will have to search for some new poppets soon though.

Back