Help with ingredients on hand (wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charbucks

Reaction score
I'm looking to try my quasi-first batch of all grain, and I've got a bunch of raw organic wheat from my roommate's farm as well as some Canada malting 2-row ("minimum D.P. 125"). Would I be insane to try 40% unmalted wheat? I'm thinking of doing a cereal mash with the wheat and a bit of the malt (as suggested elsewhere on this forum) prior to doing the whole mash. I'm thinking of something like this:

4 lbs raw wheat (crushed in hand-crank coffee mill)
6 lbs 2-row (similarly crushed)
.5-1 oz some kind of hops (low AA%), boiled for 60 minutes (seems like everyone likes Hallertauer for wheat, but I'm not sure what the LHBS has)

As to yeast, LHBS has Coopers and Doric dry packets, and nothing liquid. I don't mind American wheat beers like Grasshopper, so I'm thinking of just tossing in a packet of the Doric and seeing what happens.

Is this far too much experimentation and guessing for the first try? Should I just find a "real" recipe and order some grains online?

If you use that much raw wheat you might think about adding some rice hulls, otherwise I understand that the mash can get doughy and "stuck". Not that I know that from experience, just what I've been told.

Mutilated1 said:
If you use that much raw wheat you might think about adding some rice hulls, otherwise I understand that the mash can get doughy and "stuck". Not that I know that from experience, just what I've been told.

That's a good idea, I have read that as well. Thanks!

Back