Help with identification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optx

Reaction score
So I set some jars out and collected some samples. I'm a complete noob when it comes to yeast identification and morphology. Anyone know if this is anything worth keeping? I tried finding some kind of yeast picture references but my Google-Fu must have been way off. Apologies for the photo quality. It was the best I could do off my camera phone.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Cultures are only worth keeping if they make good beer, and a microscope can't tell you that, only your senses.

Most wild cultures will not attenuate wort very well, but some may be useful in combination with a commercial Sacc culture.

Cultures are only worth keeping if they make good beer, and a microscope can't tell you that, only your senses.

Most wild cultures will not attenuate wort very well, but some may be useful in combination with a commercial Sacc culture.

It's a struggle for sure. My next step is to create some 1 gallon batches with these and see what happens. I tasted the worts they were in and didn't find them unappealing. Although given that I don't have a solid base line of whats good makes it difficult. I got an earthy and not overly bitter or astringent taste from them. I'm going to continue to capture and see what plays out.

Yea those images look like they came from a telescope and not a microscope haha

Latest posts

Back