Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone and I have some questions.

It's a PM recipe that calls for 2 oz Tettnanger @4.5% AA (9HBU) at 60 min

1/2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh at 15 min

1/2 oz Tettnanger at 58 min

1/4 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh dry hop when transferring to secondary

Due to the hop shortage, my LHBS had me buy 2oz Sterling Hops (5.3% AAU), 1 oz Saaz (2.9% AAU), and 1 oz Hersbrucker (3.3% AAU)

Which hops should I use when?

missing link said:
I'm brewing a Sam Adams Boston Lager clone and I have some questions.

It's a PM recipe that calls for 2 oz Tettnanger @4.5% AA (9HBU) at 60 min

1/2 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh at 15 min

1/2 oz Tettnanger at 58 min

1/4 oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh dry hop when transferring to secondary

Due to the hop shortage, my LHBS had me buy 2oz Sterling Hops (5.3% AAU), 1 oz Saaz (2.9% AAU), and 1 oz Hersbrucker (3.3% AAU)

Which hops should I use when?

I would use the Higher AA Sterlings at 60 minutes and the Sazz at 5 to 15 minutes. The best thing to do is run it thru some software like beersmith in both versions and then adjust it to the same IBU's as the original recipe

never used Hersbrucker...

but the sterling is def. your 60 minute bittering hop. i think the other two might be interchangable for their timings.

I'm trying to remember the conversation when he was making recomendations.

I'm going to go with mixing the Saaz and sterling to get to my 4.5% goal and I'll use the Hersbrucker as if it was the Hallertau. I'll make beer, just not sure if it'll be good beer.

Linc

First, I'm not sure how much of a difference a 58 minute versus 60 minute addition is going to make. I'd just throw all the bittering hops in at 60 minutes.

Here's how I figure it:

Bittering:
2.5 ounces of Tett at 4.5% and a 60 minute boil produces 50.4 IBUs.
Replace with 2 ounces of Sterling at 5.3% + .25 ounce of Saaz at 2.9 % and a 60 minute boil producing 50.4 IBUs.

Aroma/Flavor
Hersbrucker is also called Hallertauer Hersbrucker and is a decent substitution for Hallertauer Mittelfruh. Use it as if it's the same.

Back