Help with flat wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewelsbrew

Reaction score
I made a batch of white grape wine and did not add any acid blend at the beginning because I was out. I am ready to do the final racking before adding sorbate. Can I add acid blend at this time to spruce up the flavor of the wine. The original recipe called for the addition of acid blend. Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Yes. Acid blend can be added anytime. Taste test first however. Put a little in a cup of the wine and try it. If it unflattens the wine add the same proportion to the big jug of wine. Acid blend does a good job of making a wine not flat:) ( spilling it WILL make it flat and acid blend will not help that!!) sorry, bad pun. I've been racking wine and drinking the dreggs....

Don't add acid blend, if anything add tartaric acid, this is the acid that is found naturally in grapes, the blend will consist of tartaric, citric and malic, malic is what really makes the wine taste tart, we put our reds through malolactic fermentation to convert this acid into a smoother lactic acid.
You really want to test the PH, TA and SO2 to determine what is necessary to balance your wine.

Back