Help With First Brew, Weird Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkDiggler

Reaction score
Just took an OG reading on my first brew, a hefeweizen, after fermenting two weeks and got 1.011-1.012. I then tasted the beer. What is it supposed to taste like at this point? Mine had a sour flavor to it, definitely not what I was expecting. Is this normal? Or do I most likely have an infection? I looked through the airlock hole and didn't see anything unusual. Thanks for the help.

Let it age. It will start to taste better over time. I think you might be tasting Green Beer, but I will let the other more experienced HBT'rs diagnose that.

Beer always tastes better with some age, even a wheat which is supposed to be pretty quick to be drinkable.

Thanks for the help. So would it be better to let it age in the fermenter, or bottle the beer and let it age there? Also, any ideas of what could have caused this taste?

6 lbs Wheat DME
2 oz Liberty Hops
WB-06 yeast

It's been fermenting at around 60-62F.

Thanks again for the help.

Leave it in the primary fermenter for 3-6 weeks total to condition. Bottle, then leave in bottles for a minimum of four weeks. Place in the fridge for one week, then consume at your leisure.

I am no expert by any means but my first beer is/was a wheat beer. If your gravity readings are consistent for a couple days in a row then it is done fermenting. From what I understand a wheat beer does not need much conditioning or clarifying. I bottled mine after two weeks in primary and it had that sour taste. I tasted it at 3 days in bottle and it had little carb and the sour taste was still prominant. I tasted it at 8 days and it was pretty darn drinkable. The sour taste still lingered on the tongue but the carb was there and it was good. At 17 days I tried it again and it taste like good beer. No more sour taste, good head, nice light and fizzy like it should be. I like it! Just relax, you will like yours too. Good luck!

If you have an OG reading that low, I would keg the Beer, force carbonate at 8psi and let it age at least a week at cold temperatures. If you are bottling, add 4oz of dextrose to the 5gal. batch, stir well and then bottle and let age 3-4 days at fermentation temperatures and then refrigerate. Make sure everything is 'clean'.

BTW, what was your starting OG reading. For a Hefeweizen I would start at a starting OG of 1.046-1.050 and end with 1.016-1.018. Yours, IMO, is too low for a Hefeweizen.

A Hefeweizen taste is also affected by the fermentation temperature. Between 70-75F, it will have more of a 'banana' flavor. Between 65 - 69, it will have a more 'cloves' flavor. I would not recommend fermenting a Hefeweizen below 65F.

I used Liberty Hops before on a Hefeweizen, but I only used 1oz for a 5 gallon batch and it came out pretty good after only 3 weeks from brew to finish. Using 2oz of Liberty may lend to a more bitter taste with a 60 minute boil.

From what you have said, I would say the amount of hops used and the fermentation temperature would lend to a 'sour' flavor. Since I don't know the starting OG, I cannot say if OG is a culprit, but it could be. Let it age and re-sample every week. It will get better, but be patient.

Leaving it in the primary for an extended period will go great lengths to clearing up any off flavors. It's only after primary fermentation is complete that the yeast begin to "clean up" after themselves by feeding on esters and other waste products from the ferment. In other words, although your SG is not changing after about 2 weeks, the yeast are still very much active and doing their thing.

Back