help with double pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartanchip

Reaction score
i am looking into ordering AHS's Summer Saison Belgin Ale, and while looking at the order i noticed that they recomended pitching a double batch of yeast? i always make starters with my white labs yeast and was wondering if this double pitching is necessary if i give my yeast plenty of time to start, or even creating a larger starter for this beer. thanks in advance

this is what the site said

O.G. = 1.060. Approximately 6% ABV.

Yeast Double Pitching Option:
We recommend double pitching (doubling the amount of yeast) for beers with a starting gravity over 1.060. The increase in cell count will help the beer finish at final gravity and make stuck fermentations less likely. It will also reduce the lag time between pitching and the start of fermentation, and eliminate the need for a starter, both reducing contamination chances. This option allows you to add another yeast for double pitching.

Sounds like AHS is trying to sell you more yeast ;)

A good starter will give you more than double the yeast if you're willing to build one.

IMO double pitching is just a way to get around making a starter.

-Joe

i always build starters, so should i just do a starter as normal or should i try and make a slightly bigger one with more DME? or what?

alright i did that and it came up with only needing 1 vial for the starter, but my question now is; i typically just use about a pint or so of water for my starters and about a half cup of DME. mrmalty is saying that my starter size needs to be about 1.25 liters? so do i just need to have more water and still about half cup of DME? or do i need to increase the amount of DME to take into account the extra water as well? thanks, sorry never ran into this problem before

If you're not familiar, here's a link to the calculator.

If you're using a stirplate, the calculator says you need 1 liter of starter and 1 yeast package to get to the required 208 billion cells.

If you're doing intermittent shaking, the calc says you need 1.29 liters and 1 yeast package.

-Joe

alright i did that and it came up with only needing 1 vial for the starter, but my question now is; i typically just use about a pint or so of water for my starters and about a half cup of DME. mrmalty is saying that my starter size needs to be about 1.25 liters? so do i just need to have more water and still about half cup of DME? or do i need to increase the amount of DME to take into account the extra water as well? thanks, sorry never ran into this problem before

you should keep the ratio of dme to water the same, so yes add more to it.

You're ideally shooting for a 1.040 starter. That means 1oz of DME per cup of water.

So if you're shooting for 1.25 liters, that's about 5 cups of water so you need 5oz of DME.

-Joe

Back