help with dilution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garvinator70

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brewed a Haus Pale Ale hit 1.060 OG so i deluted it with one gallon of well water after firmintation put in secondary topped with a gallon of water to get it down from 7% abv your thoughts?

So you diluted it with one gallon of water then put it in a secondary and topped it with another gallon of water?

I'll have more issue with putting it in the secondary than I will with diluting it. Although I'd have to ask if the well water is the same water you brewed with? And if it has a neutral taste or not.

If I knew I'd wanted a particular ABV, I'd have diluted prior to pitching. But I don't see anything terrible for doing it afterward. Other than it seems like it might be more of a chance for potential issues. But that's just my feeling more than any factual basis.

Last edited:
Your dilution depends on your starting volume as well.
I dilute often, but before pitching for 2 reasons
1 I can achieve a bigger volume with my stove top equipment
2 It helps with cooling as I use water from the fridge (previously boiled)

How many gallons did you start with?

How did you measure your gravity and at what temperature?

I would be more concerned with the quality of the water lending off flavors or potential infection (low). I agree though, for the future, you should dilute prior to pitch.

How many gallons did you start with?

How did you measure your gravity and at what temperature?

I would be more concerned with the quality of the water lending off flavors or potential infection (low). I agree though, for the future, you should dilute prior to pitch.
i dilluted with good well water and used a hydrometer at 68 degrees, it turned out good thanks ,im drinking it now cheers

Back