Help with diagnosis of infection.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
Hello, all. In general I'm very good about sanitation practices, but my past couple beers have suffered from a white film, with small bubbles, that get bigger with time. The outer perimeter of the fermenter seems to gather a white, crust like substance. I've done a lot of research but have yet to find a definitive answer. I've dissected my process and don't know where I'm going wrong. What's surprising is that it has only happened to pale ales and IPAS. After tasting these beers there is a noticeable harshness, bitterness that is consistent in all the beers that seem to be affected by this. None of my darker beers have suffered from this. Also it occurred after the first time using this particular fermenter. Below is a photo, any help is appreciated. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392244645.749986.jpg

I honestly don't see a noticeable infection in the picture above. That looks like normal yeast rafts and off-gassing.

I make a lot of sours and have seen most types of infections.

Can you describe your brewing process for this particular brew?

you're describing similaar issues that I've been having, it also smells perfumy to me. I don't know exactly what it is. We just resanitized and lysoled the crap out of out fermentation area.

Back