Help with computing ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdenton

Reaction score
I am a lot confused on how to figure out my ABV
the little peice of paper with my hygrometer says to look at the % starting gravity and then the final % gravity and minus them.
If I do that I get 4 %

Is there a better way or formula to figure it out

My starting was 1.043
my final was 1.018

My starting was supposed to be 1.053 according to the recipe and final at 1.012

Help I am so confused

Man that is way low.
the recipe said it should be 5.4%
It is a Paulaner Hefe clone

It fermented vigoursly (blew off the airlock and hit the celing) for 5 days and then midly for about 3
It has been in the ale pale for about 4 weeks and the gravitly has been steady for readings for the last week.

I wonder why I missed the mark for starting and final?
That seems like a really low ABV

The bummer is that I bottled last night so there is probably no hope.

A lot of new brewers don't thoroughly mix the wort with the top off water before they take their OG reading, that will throw off the starting gravity reading big time....Was this a kit? If so you probably hit your starting gravity and just didn't get an accurate reading.

I usually stir my wort for 5 solid minutes with a slotted stirrer before I take my reading and pitch my yeast...

Now don't forget to leave the bottles ALONE for 3 weeks to fully carb and condition. In the meantime, start another batch going. :D

wdenton said:
Man that is way low.
the recipe said it should be 5.4%

There's virtually no way to get to 5.4% ABV from 1.043 OG. (you'd need to get down to 1.002 or so, which wouldn't be too tasty)

If its an extract kit and you hit your volumes and used all of the supplied extract, it's nearly impossible to miss your OG. You may have a measurement issue. Did the kit say what the OG/FG should have been?

You are right,
I did not stir after I topped off.
I did mix it around with the wort chiller after I topped off the bucket though, would that count?

This is my second batch.

Is there a way to measure the ABV now or is it too late.

If you didn't stir thoroughly, you just read the hydrometer wrong. You got a diluted sample. If you post your recipe, we can figure out the OG within a few points- it's possible to do that with extract beers.

I am concerned you bottled a bit early- 1.018? How long did it sit in the fermenter?

It sat for about 4 and a half weeks in the fermenter.

It was not a kit, it was the recipe from Clone Brews for the Paulner hefe clone.

Here is the recipe

4 oz German Munich Malt
12 oz Wheat Malt
6 lb Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau hops 3.6 Alpha Acid (AA)

wdenton said:
It sat for about 4 and a half weeks in the fermenter.

It was not a kit, it was the recipe from Clone Brews for the Paulner hefe clone.

Here is the recipe

4 oz German Munich Malt
12 oz Wheat Malt
6 lb Wheat DME
1 oz Hallertau hops 3.6 Alpha Acid (AA)

1.043 is the right OG, then, if it's a 5-gallon batch. No way that beer gets to 5.4% ABV, though. Something's wrong with the recipe.

EDIT: nope, 1.043 would be OK for LME. If you used DME, your OG was around 1.055, and you should be at ~4.8% ABV. Your FG is still high, though. At 75% attenuation, you would have been at 1.014, and 5.4% ABV.

The LHBS recomended that I round out to 1 lb with the wheat malt.
you are correct it was not in the original recipe.

Is there any way to take a finished product and tell the ABV
I don't mind if it is low but I don't want to make the same mistake again and get 3% abv either

The way to determine ABV (without your own lab) is to take the OG and subtract the FG and multiply by 131.

So,

(1.055- 1.018) x 131= 4.8%

Depending on what yeast you used, though, I'm thinking the beer wasn't quite done. Hopefully it was, though.

It depends on what yeast you used, and what the attenuation of the yeast should be, and whether or not it was done.

Since you let it sit for about a month, I'm guessing it was about done, or at least fairly close.

I would have to look at my notes at home but it was a liquid ale yeast I think it was a belgium liquid ale yeast

Back