Help With Color of NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFishBrewing

Reaction score
Still a new brewer (10 batches to date) and I am trying to design an NEIPA using Beersmith 3. There doesn't seem to be a style guide for NEIPAs there yet so I am using one for an IPA (from the Beersmith 3 style guide). The color does not meet the threshold for an IPA and I am unclear of the parameters for an NEIPA - this may be perfect? If you think it should be darker, what malts (and amount) would you recommend? Any other suggestions?

9 lbs. (4.1 kg) US 2-row malt
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) UK Golden Promise malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) flaked wheat
12 oz. (340 g) flaked oats

The SRM = 3.6 - the threshold for an IPA is 6.0 to 15.0

Still a new brewer (10 batches to date) and I am trying to design an NEIPA using Beersmith 3. There doesn't seem to be a style guide for NEIPAs there yet so I am using one for an IPA (from the Beersmith 3 style guide). The color does not meet the threshold for an IPA and I am unclear of the parameters for an NEIPA - this may be perfect? If you think it should be darker, what malts (and amount) would you recommend? Any other suggestions?

9 lbs. (4.1 kg) US 2-row malt
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) UK Golden Promise malt
1 lb. (0.45 kg) flaked wheat
12 oz. (340 g) flaked oats

The SRM = 3.6 - the threshold for an IPA is 6.0 to 15.0

lots of NEIPAs are very light colored - straw or light golden. it's not a problem.

That's a pretty typical grain bill for me. I started with an even blend of golden promise and pale ale malt. I went through a period where I was trying to get more orange color in my NEIPAs...not really sure why. Ultimately I quit worrying about it.

Interestingly enough, one of my favorite recipes is nothing but pale ale malt, flaked wheat, flaked oats, and carapils. The Brewers Friend calculated SRM is 6.2 even though the darkest ingredient is 3.5L.

I wouldn't worry about the color if I were you.

Also, there is a proposed update to the BJCP guidelines that includes a new category for NEIPAs that lists SRM between 3 and 7.

IMO don't go above 10L on any malts for a NEIPA style. These beers have a tendency to darken easily due to the high amounts of polyphenols and it will get murky.

I've been brewing a lot of neipas over the last year and have been moving my grain bills to end up at in the mid-6s SRM.
I think this murky style presents better with a light appearance. I wouldn't have a problem with a 3.something as long as there was some malt character there. What's holding my 6's is the Gambrinus Honey Malt (SRM 25) which I've halved and used C10 for the missing half...

Cheers!

If you want a touch of color just add a small amount of dark roasted malt to the top of the grain bed as you sparge.

You don’t need that much in flaked adjuncts. Pick one or the other.

Still a new brewer (10 batches to date) and I am trying to design an NEIPA using Beersmith 3.

Any other suggestions?
Brew some established, proven recipes in whatever style interests you and when you are successful, THEN try your hand at crafting your own recipes.
A good way to get your process squared away is by brewing clones, then you have a commercial example to compare it to.
Forget about color and appearance, get a good tasting beer and then go back and correct any appearance issues.

Back