Help with Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Romano

Reaction score
I apologize up front for the long post but felt details were needed. I brewed a 5 gallon batch of coffee stout (extract) using a recipe kit on 2/2.

> .5 lbs English Dark Crystal

> .5 lbs Chocolate Malt

> .5 lbs Black Malt

> 6lbs LME; 2 lbs DME

> 2 oz Fuggles

> 4 oz coffee

> S-04 yeast

I steeped the “coarsely ground" coffee in the kettle for 20 minutes after the boil. However, when I moved the wort to the primary, I made the decision to strain the wort using a grain bag. My reasoning was because I felt I may have ground the coffee a little finer than I should have, and I did not want coffee grinds floating in the beer. As I strained the wort, I did notice that not only did it catch all of the ground coffee, but also the "sludge" which I assume was some hop matter and grainy goodness?

I took a gravity reading today (1.016), 6 days in and took the opportunity to take a quick taste. I noticed that the brew tasted extremely bland and the body was extremely light. The mouthfeel was totally not what I was expecting from a stout with a 1.064 OG. I am willing to bet that straining the wort played a large role in this? Or could it be that I am tasting a mere 6 days after brewing?

I really want to "resurrect" this batch (assuming the straining impacted the beer)! Any advice on how I can restore some of the mouthfeel AND taste? I think I will bottle 3 weeks after the brew date (even though the instructions only call for 2 weeks), so I think I have some time! I wasn't planning on moving the beer to a secondary vessel during this process, but I do NOT mind doing so if recommended.

TASTE: Here are a few ideas to help the taste….

1) "Dry beaning" – Worth trying? For a 5 gallon batch, how many ounces would you use? How would you prepare (how coarse)? How long to leave in the "secondary"?

2) Adding a strong batch of brewed coffee (cooled to room temp) – Worth trying? How many liquid cups? How many "scoops" to use in the brew? When to add?

3) Because I also (presumably) strained some of the hops out of the beer, would you recommend also dry hopping to add some flavor back? I realize this is unconventional for stouts, but think it might help? If so, what type of hops would you recommend and how many ounces?

MOUTHFEEL: I imagine most or all of the above "taste ideas" would NOT help with the mouthfeel? Ideas…

1) I've done a little research and I understand body can be added using maltodextrin or lactose to the "secondary"? I wouldn’t mind a little extra sweetness, so would lactose be a good choice? If so, how would one go about doing this and how much do you recommend?

2) Is there any way I could make a strong "grain tea" with maybe a malt and/or oats and add that to the "secondary", and if so, how/quantity/when?

I appreciate your help! Cheers!

Dry beaning is your answer for the best way to add coffee to a beer. Gives you the most aroma and true flavor in the final beer. It will literally make your beer smell like you just opened a bag of freshly roasted beans.

I use a good medium roast from Mexico or Guatemala. Less acid and chocolate notes. Use 3-5 oz for 3 days before crashing

Thanks Dgallo! I think I have the perfect coffee that matches your description. Well, it is a darker blend but low acidity with chocolate, cherry notes. I assume you coarsely grind the coffee and add to a muslin bag?

Thanks Dgallo! I think I have the perfect coffee that matches your description. Well, it is a darker blend but low acidity with chocolate, cherry notes. I assume you coarsely grind the coffee and add to a muslin bag?
Be careful with dark roast because it has more oils available than medium roast and can negatively impact the head retention.

And no, I do not grind them at all. Just toss the whole beans in. Ground beans can add astringency, the whole beans keep it nice and smooth

Back